Adjusted Yields for Periodicity

Can someone explain how to answer this question?

An Atlas Corporation bond is quoted with a YTM of 4% on a semiannual bond basis. What yields should be used to compare it with a quarterly pay bond and an annual pay bond?

I know that the semiannual bond basis = 2 times the semiannual discount rate. So we have a semiannual discount rate of 2%.

Afterwards, I am completely confused on the difference between effective yields, effective annual yields, YTM (is EAY and YTM the same thing??), and the rest of the jargon and calculation used in this problem.

Thanksā€¦

YTM on bonds is usually quoted as a BEY, not an EAY.

For quarterly pay bonds, I can see two possibilities:

• Multiply the effective quarterly rate by 4 to get an annual (nominal) rate
  • Compound the effective quarterly rate for 2 quarters to get an effective semiannual rate, then double it to get a BEY

Unless theyā€™re specific about how the quarterly pay bondā€™s yield is quoted, you cannot answer the question intelligently.

Thanks for the answer -

Let me know if my understanding makes sense:

1. YTM is based on BEY, not EAY

2. Annual pay bondā€™s BEY = EAY

3. Semiannual bond basis (i.e. 2 x semiannual discount rate) = YTM measure

4. Can stake a semiannual bondā€™s YTM measure (Semiannual bond basis), divide by 2 to get the semiannual discount rate and then find the effective quarterly rate

5. Multiply effective quarterly rate to get the YTM (or BEY) rate for a quarter pay bonds.

As I wrote above, typically YTM is quoted as a BEY, not an EAY. I imagine that there must be some bonds somewhere for which the YTM is quoted as an EAY, but I havenā€™t seen them.

This is incorrect. BEY is twice the semiannual effective yield, so it is a nominal rate, not an effective rate. EAY is the semiannual effective yield compounded for two periods, so it is, as its name suggests, an effective rate.

Yes: BEY is twice the semiannual effective discount rate, and is the most common convention for quoting YTM.

I donā€™t know what you mean by ā€œstakeā€ in this context.

If a bondā€™s YTM is quoted as a BEY, then you are correct: you divide by 2 to get the semiannual (effective) discount rate, and, if you will, uncompound that for two periods to get the effective quarterly rate.

If you multiply the effective quarterly rate by 4 to get an annual rate, it will be a nominal rate (compounded 4 times per year). It will not be a BEY (which is a nominal annual rate that is compounded twice per year), nor will it be an EAY (which is an effective rate, not a nominal rate). You could describe it as a YTM, but I donā€™t know whether anyone would adopt that convention for presenting a YTM on a quarterly pay bond.

As I mentioned above, without knowing how the quarterly pay bondā€™s YTM is presented (nominal rate compounded 4 times per year, nominal rate compounded twice per year (BEY), or effective rate being the three most likely candidate methods), you cannot say for certain exactly what a quarterly pay bondā€™s YTM means.

1. Arenā€™t there two BEYs? Iā€™m confused which one is used in this context.

I think one BEY is based on 2 x semiannual effective discount rate and the other one is (add on yield)(365/t).

1. So is an annual pay bondā€™s YTM = EAY? So why did you say that BEY is not = EAY for 3)?

For example, an annual pay bondā€™s YTM = 8%, then the EAY is 8%. Is that correct?

But BEY can be used as the YTM? So why isnā€™t BEY = 8% = EAY?

1. See 2.

2. I meant ā€œtakeā€ sorry. But I otherwise get your point.

3. See 2. BEY, EAY, and YTM are confusing.

In one of the Corporate Finance readings they define something they call BEY.

It isnā€™t BEY.

For that reading, you need to know that definition, but otherwise, forget it. In the real world, BEY means only one thing: 2 times the effective semiannual yield.

The (annual, effective) discount rate that you use to discount the cash flows on an annual pay bond is an EAY.

However, that may not be how the bondā€™s YTM is quoted.

If you use an 8% effective annual rate to discount the cash flows on an annual pay bond to get todayā€™s price, then that bondā€™s EAY is 8%. And if they quote its YTM as an EAY (which is uncommon, but possible), then its YTM would be quoted as 8%. However, if they quote its YTM as a BEY (which is much more common), then you have to convert that 8% annual effective rate into a semiannual effective yield and double it:

(1 + SAEY)Ā² = 1.08

1 + SAEY = āˆš1.08 = 1.039230

SAEY = 0.039230 = 3.9230%

BEY = 2 Ɨ 3.9230% = 7.8461%

This bondā€™s YTM is 7.8461%.

So let me try to recap again:

1. (1+ EAY)^n is used to discount cash flows for annual pay bonds. What is used to discount semi annual or quarterly bonds?

2. YTM is usually quoted as a BEY (2 x effective semiannual yield), NOT as EAY. Is BEY and semiannual discount basis the same thing?

3. We can get the YTM (based on BEY) by determining the semiannual effective yield ((1 + EAY)^0.5 - 1) x 2

This is from Schweser:

An annual pay bond with an 8% YTM has an effective yield of 8%.

A semiannual pay bond with 8% YTM has a yield of 4% every 6 months and an effective yield of 1.04^2 - 1 = 8.16%.

A quarterly pay bond with 8% YTM has a yield of 2% every 3 months and an effective yield of 1.02^4 - 1 = 8.24%.

So which ones here are BEY and which ones are EAY?

Iā€™m guessing EAY is 8%? Iā€™m suggest trying to reconcile your statements with Schweser so that I can finally grasp the content.

Go for it!

Respectively, semiannual effective rates and quarterly effective rates.

Yes, they is.

:wink:

All of the 8% numbers are nominal yields, or annual percentage yields (APYs).

For the annual pay bond, 8% is also the EAY; note that Schweser says that the effective yield is 8%.

For the semiannual pay bond, 8.16% is the EAY, and 8% is the BEY.

For the quarterly pay bond, 8.24% is the EAY, but they didnā€™t calculate a BEY. To do that, you need the effective semiannual yield, which you get by compounding the effective quarterly yield for 2 quarters:

1.02Ā² āˆ’ 1 = 0.0404 = 4.04%

Doubling that gives you the BEY of 8.08%.

Thanks! Going to recap it all for my sake so as to understand it (think I understand all the questions I have on this thread!!):

1. BEY = Semiannual bond basis = effective semiannual yield x 2.

2. EAY = (1 + effective quarterly yield)^4 - 1ā€¦This is to get the EAY for a quarterly paying bond. Since the # of compounding periods are greater than an annual paying bond, the EAY consequently is higher as well.

EAY = (1+effective semiannual yield) ^2 - 1ā€¦This EAY is for semiannual paying bonds.

1. Effective semiannual yield = (1 + effective quarterly yield)^2 - 1ā€¦We can then multiply this figure by 2 to get the BEY (a.k.a. semiannual bond basis)

Effective semiannual yield = (1 + EAY)^0.5 - 1ā€¦We can then multiply this figure by 2 to get the BEY.

4) Effective quarterly yield = (1 + effective semiannual yield)^0.5 - 1

1. YTM is usually quoted as BEY.

2. Quoted annual rate for quarterly bond = ((1 + effective semiannual rate)^0.5 - 1) x 4 = effective quarterly rate x 4.

For semiannual pay bonds, is BEY the quoted rate?

Is there anything wrong with this information? Especially for bolded parts.

Thanks so much again!

1 Like

It all looks good to me.