Ethics - advice

Hi,

Just about to start the Ethics section of level 1, have taken the advice of many to use the actual CFA book for this not Schweser as I have used for everything else. Have just had a quick browse and am overwhelmed by the quantity of information it involves.

Would anyone mind sharing their strategy/tips for how to deal with Ethics - for example reading 5 looks insane with the amount of sub points, clauses to remember etc and would take a (seemingly) impossible amount of time to remember?

Thanks!

Considering it is at least 15% of the exam it isn’t a lot. You don’t have to remember codes and names. Just recognize what is a violation and what conforms to the framework. Make bullet points of the code, then make sub-points and then make another sub-point. Once you get the map visualized start doing practice tests and you will see the concepts are repeating because there isn’t a lot of codes of conduct.

Hi,

Thanks for the advice, will get on to reading 3 shortly and note down the code. I guess it’s hard not to write down everything thinking it’s useful when it’s actually a waste of time.

Could I just ask (because I’m in full zombie mode currently with work etc - as we all are!!) what you meant by ‘the map’?. Do you think it’s beneficial to have the code on a large A3 size where everything can be seen in doing questions/revision?

Thanks for your help once again!!

If you think this is impossible, i wouldn’t even bother with level 2 and 3.

Honestly the amount the information you need to memorize AND understand probably triple from level 1 to 2.

I don’t think the Schweser is bad but since ethics section is so depended on the wording, and you want to be familiar with the vocabularies and the logic that CFAI uses which should be consistent with the exam, I would go for the CFAI textbook in this section and use Schweser for practice questions?

By the way, you will need ethics in every level, so this will come back to haunt you for the next 2 exams, you may as well learn it well now!

Best of luck!

NANA