Re-taking CFA Level I exam

I recently took the CFA Level I exam in June 2017 and unfortunately did not pass (band 7).

I am planning on re-taking the exam in June 2018, and was wondering if I should buy anymore study material (considering I have all the CFA textbooks for 2017).

Any advice or comments most appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Any reason not to consider taking it in December while the material is still (relatively) fresh?

Wiley videos for L1 are really great, I’d recommend checking them out.

I have a 3 week holiday in September, which will lose me a lot of time. Plus the registration fee is much higher for the December exam…

Are you asking if you should buy new 3rd party study material? Not sure what you mean by “having all the CFA textbooks for 2017”, as you’ll receive 2018 content from the CFAI when you register.

If you used 3rdp materials for 2017, and want to reuse for 2018, be sure to review any adjustments in content made between the years (new and omitted readings). Not sure how many changes there will be. You’ve still got lots of time, so personally I’d study straight from the source.

Either way, some very general advice is diagnose and improve your weak areas (use your band 7 matrix as a starting point), and leverage your stronger areas (don’t neglect adequately covering an area simply because you did well in it this year).

Band 7 ain’t that bad. Good luck.

So you’re taking almost a month off. You’re not working, and you refuse to study.

Methinks you would benefit from another thread. https://www.analystforum.com/forums/cfa-forums/cfa-level-i-forum/91317574

+1

I would advise you to practice as much as you can for the next exam. You can try out a platform called PrepSmarter. They are Adaptive practice engine which only focuses on practice. I am using it for Dec 2017 exam and it is helping a lot in preparation.Plus they have 1 on 1 doubt session in which you can clear any doubts regarding CFA. Practice helps you a lot in preparation.

+2

I am working full time, I have a 3 week holiday of a lifetime to Asia. Which makes me think it would be best to not take the December exam since I would be very short on time to study…

Not sure what else you’re getting at…?

Just FYI - I started studying for Level 1 in mid-October and passed in December. Because I had already covered virtually all of L1 in my undergrad.

And if you haven’t read the thread, then you probably should.

I’m going to make a mental note of this and call you out in three years. Because I really do not believe that you have the discipline to pass the CFA exam. In fact, if your party schedule permits you to get past the entry-level exam (L1), I’ll be incredibly surprised.

And just FYI (and I feel that this is a waste of breath) - June 2017 and December 2017 will have the exact same curriculum

You will have to study harder for June 2018 because some of the curriculum will change.

But you would rather enjoys a vacation than study and actually get the charter, so it makes little difference.