Am I too far behind?

I’ve registered to sit the December exam, but I’m considering withdrawing if I’m not prepared to focus on other things (I am working on a PhD application due a month before, which is a much higher priority). I’m guessing there are some people who’ve sat level 1 beforehand, so I wanted to ask whether my current status is sufficient to bother continuing? If not, I’d rather cut my losses.

I’ve read through all of the Kaplan books, and I’ve worked though almost all of the concept checkers. I’ve also done key readings from the CFA books. I’m probably going to go back and do all of the questions from the CFA books as a next stage, and/or start supplementing with relevant exam questions. I haven’t been that happy with some chapters of the concept checkers (mainly corporate finance and ethics).

In terms of the time I can spend, I think I can work for 1.5 hours most evenings and do about 4-5 hours per day on weekends. I wish I could grind harder than that, but on top of the PhD, I have a chronic medical condition that is exacerbated by stress so don’t want to do more harm than good.

I’d say you’re in the ballpark. The key is that you’ve already seen the material (even on a surface basis). The key from here on out is working questions/problems, and assess where you’re weak. And review, review, review.