Exam day -- logistics & format

I’m bringing a few HB pencils, a sharpener, two calculators (1 is a backup), an eraser, and my passport.

Did I miss anything? I don’t bring scratch paper right? Is the exam questions and answer sheet separate or are they on the same paper? Why does it take CFA so long to grade the exams when its just multiple choice?

That’s it. No scratch paper, you’ll get everything else you need then and there. Best of luck!

Don’t forget admission ticket. If you do, say good bye.

Oh yes the ticket, almost forgot that.

Do I bring lunch or do I just leave for lunch at noon? What do most people do?

I’d recommend bringing a lunch. You don’t want to risk standing in a queue for an hour, only to discover that the candidate in front of you got the last of the roast beef or French bread or peperoncino or Dijon or whatever.

Also note, there will be paper stuck to the table, I’m not sure what it’s for, but you can’t write on it.

Maybe someone nearby you put the toilet paper on the desk and that’s exactly what you’ve seen.

There is a note with your desk number, there are no other papers on your desk prior to their giving you the exam book. Obviously don’t write on the note.

Our desks had sheets of paper stuck to them for some reason.

There’s a tear out sheet that you pencil in the bubbles for the M/C.

From CFAI:

Weeks 1-2

Once exams have been collected and shipped back to CFA Institute from all locations worldwide, they are reconciled with attendance rosters and ready for grading and quality control. The first step in the process is the machine grading of all multiple-choice and item-set exam answer sheets. Numerous quality-control processes ensure that answer sheets are accurately graded. During this period, all comments and complaints related to the exams are investigated. CFA Institute staff review the exam questions and answers, curriculum readings, and exam performance results related to each comment or complaint. Special attention is given to questions that may have more than one correct answer, or questions that are potentially confusing or unfair. If it is determined that a question has more than one correct answer, all correct answers are credited. If a question is determined to be confusing or unfair, all answers are credited. During this period, the Level III essay exams are prepared for the two-week, in person grading session that begins in week four.

Week 3

Continued quality-control measures include verifying that all answer documents are accounted for and properly scanned. Once the majority of Levels I and II exams have been graded, CFA Institute convenes a standard-setting workshop in which CFA charterholders independently review the exam questions in detail to identify the minimum passing score (MPS) that represents basic competence in the subject matter.

Weeks 4-5

Reports for Levels I and II are developed for the Board of Governors (Board) to review in week six. The Level III in-person essay grading session takes place during this two-week period, involving hundreds of CFA charterholders from around the world who convene in Charlottesville, VA, USA. A standard-setting workshop is convened to evaluate the Level III exam.

Weeks 6-7

After reviewing the standard-setting results, the Board convenes to determine the MPS for Levels I and II. The results for Levels I and II are processed internally. Quality-control measures ensure that the data are correctly entered into the system. Reports from the standard-setting workshop for Level III are developed for the Board. The Board convenes to set the MPS for Level III.

Weeks 8-10

After eight weeks, Level I and II exam results are released by email and available on the CFA Institute website. Level III grading and quality-control processes ensure that scores are captured correctly in the computerized systems. Approximately ten weeks post exam day, Level III results are released.

Is it forbidden to bring cell phones? As far as I understood, it is not recommended. Normally, I would not need the cell phone but due to the fact that I will be in a different country and have some logistics issues (I will be staying over my friend`s place) I will most likely have to bring one. Are there any lockers provided at the test center and where do candidates store food they bring?

At least for the times I took the exams, they have a separate room where all bags, backpacks, phones, etc… are kept. Do NOT bring your phone into the testing area.

I know this sounds kind of stupid…by saying testing area do you mean the actual room or building? :slight_smile:

Do not bring your mobile phones at all unless they’re cheap because you have to leave it out of testing room and actually nobody is responsible for things left outside.