What to read for ethics?

Hi,

Apart from the CFAI book (too long) and Schweser (not detailed enough), what do we read for ethics?

The CFAI book. There are no shortcuts.

Ethics might be the topic where reading the CFA curriculum is most necessary. The reason is that the CFA Code and Standards are unique.

On Level I, you only need to understand the basics of ethics and the ability to apply it to simple cases. The exam writers will not presume you have prior exposure to these Code and Standards.

When I study ethics, I often refer to a study note that helps summarize some of the examples in the curriculum. You can see it here.

Best of luck no matter what approach you take. Some people like ethics, while others dislike it. I think it really comes down to the type of personality and background you have. I’m OK with ethics, but neither love it or hate it.

–Keith

That’s better.

Howdy.

Nothing.

Ethics is the one topic where you need to read the CFA Institute curriculum.

If you think that it’s too long . . . well . . . too bad. Read it. Work all of the problems. It’s far and away your best approach. You should consider it your _ only _ approach.

The decision is binary: Read the CFA book (1), or don’t read it (0).

If you are risk seeker, then read only the Schweser’s. You will get a good idea of what CFAI means on its ethics code. Not an optimal decision by the way. When you reach L3 and study the behavioral finance chapter, you will remember this day.