Sign up  |  Log in

Final weeks strategy mocks vs theory revision

Hi,

I just wanted to inform myself about which kind of strategy you guys apply to tackle these last weeks
I feel like mocks and the reviewing of mocks might be more important than reviewing the EOC’s.
I am currently applying the strategy of analystprep (displayed in the image below)
but I was wondering whether I should maybe aim to do 5 to 6 mocks instead of 4 and
prioritize mocks above regular eoc + theory revision.
What do you guys think? 

Kr,

"indispensable down the final stretch and had a HUGE impact on my studies." - Christopher, USA

I don’t think there is a universal best way that will apply to everyone, so I can only speak from  experience. I took the Schweser live mocks, which I think were about 2-3 weeks before the real thing. I failed miserably with both sessions in the mid 40s/low 50s. After that, I just hammered question banks and mocks, as well as taking a few days off work to just do mocks, and I ended up passing fairly comfortably. I did EOCs during my reading/review, and then just moved on. I found that through doing mocks and qbanks, I started to recognize patterns and get more of an intuitive feel for the right answer, or at least what answer was most likely wrong. It’s about time management and exam performance as much as anything, so my opinion is that mocks are the most valuable at this point.

You just gave me some hope. I did terribly on my first Schweser mock this past weekend and it got me down.

I think I will follow this. Trying to get Ethics done before Friday so I can tackle mocks only. I scored a 53% on my first mocks for both the AM and PM session and was so dissapointed in myself even though I haven’t reviewed half the cirriculum. Surprisingly, I did so poorly on Ethics that I was shocked because Ethics was the first subject I read and I was very comfortable with it. However, I was scoring 33% and thinking, what in the world? Re-reading it and getting it out of the way. 

Some of you guys are very helfpul.

chetm wrote:

You just gave me some hope. I did terribly on my first Schweser mock this past weekend and it got me down.

yeah check out my post history. Back in November I was posting on here asking people if it was even worth attempting the exam. It’s surprising how much you can learn in the home stretch.

Thanks for the input, that really helps. I was thinking the same thing. I have a feeling I am picking up way more by doing mocks and qbanks.
 

I scored in the lower 60s 3 times on the mocks…should I keep on practicing and doing end of chapter questions to boost my score or is there a different strategy out there?…any help is appreciate . Thank you 

Hi everyone, 

So two days ago I did my first Schweser mock AM session - scored a miserable 50% and it took me about 6 hours to even get through the paper. Also surprised since even though I hadnt completed a full read-through of the curriculum, what I had completed I thought I knew really well…. clearly not. 

Strategy from here - going over the solutions and referring back to the CFAI books, jotting down anything NB or that I see fit. This is taking me forever though. Two days later and I haven’t finished the first AM that I did two days ago. 

I feel like I am drowning. 

Saturday I’ll be doing the live sit-down mock exam - which I’m assuming I’ll fail miserably too? 

From Monday - mock exams, review weak spots in the same above sequence until Saturday 16th. The final week of studying - Monday Mock, Tuesday Mock, Wednesday Mock, Thursday Ethics, Friday half day of review and touch ups. (Final week’s mocks will be in exam-like conditions starting and ending at the same times. Then marking and starring off the weak spots which I’ll return to on Friday.)

All you guys above have made me feel a bit better but taking this long to review the answers to the first AM is freaking me out….

zoecohen wrote:

Hi everyone, 

So two days ago I did my first Schweser mock AM session - scored a miserable 50% and it took me about 6 hours to even get through the paper. Also surprised since even though I hadnt completed a full read-through of the curriculum, what I had completed I thought I knew really well…. clearly not. 

Strategy from here - going over the solutions and referring back to the CFAI books, jotting down anything NB or that I see fit. This is taking me forever though. Two days later and I haven’t finished the first AM that I did two days ago. 

I feel like I am drowning. 

Saturday I’ll be doing the live sit-down mock exam - which I’m assuming I’ll fail miserably too? 

From Monday - mock exams, review weak spots in the same above sequence until Saturday 16th. The final week of studying - Monday Mock, Tuesday Mock, Wednesday Mock, Thursday Ethics, Friday half day of review and touch ups. (Final week’s mocks will be in exam-like conditions starting and ending at the same times. Then marking and starring off the weak spots which I’ll return to on Friday.)

All you guys above have made me feel a bit better but taking this long to review the answers to the first AM is freaking me out….

Zoe dont worry about your scores. I know plenty of people that never broke 60 on a mock and passed the test. Your time between now and the exam should just be reviewing answers. GIven your situation I would not put yourself through more apprehension doing more closed book tests. Just keep reviewing questions and answers regardless if right or wrong. 

On the day just stay cool and think rationally. You made it this far you can do it, don’t doubt your capabilities! 

.....woof

rexthedog wrote:

Zoe dont worry about your scores. I know plenty of people that never broke 60 on a mock and passed the test.

Can confirm. I think my last mock was in the high 50’s and I passed. 

One thing I noticed in the exam was that I was completely focused from start to finish, whereas when I did mock exams, I couldn’t help but rush through the last 20 or so questions, because I’d just want it to be over. I took them seriously, but obviously deep down I knew they were just mock exams. I’m convinced I picked up at least 10-20 points purely through being forced to be completely focused by the real exam setting. 

Thank you for this.

So you’re saying to not do exam-condition mocks and rather doing them with their memo? (Well, obviously first answering the question myself?) If I’m not sure of the answer to go straight to the memo/text and learn it all like that. Still keeping score of what I knew off-hand. That’s how I’ve gotten through Uni, I just doubted that method after being told otherwise by everyone else… 

Writing the Schweser Mock tomorrow, I’m using it as a guiding tool. Get the hang of a million people, the procedures etc. 

Thank you for this.

So you’re saying to not do exam-condition mocks and rather doing them with their memo? (Well, obviously first answering the question myself?) If I’m not sure of the answer to go straight to the memo/text and learn it all like that. Still keeping score of what I knew off-hand. That’s how I’ve gotten through Uni, I just doubted that method after being told otherwise by everyone else… 

Writing the Schweser Mock tomorrow, I’m using it as a guiding tool. Get the hang of a million people, the procedures etc. 

rexthedog wrote:

zoecohen wrote:

Hi everyone, 

So two days ago I did my first Schweser mock AM session - scored a miserable 50% and it took me about 6 hours to even get through the paper. Also surprised since even though I hadnt completed a full read-through of the curriculum, what I had completed I thought I knew really well…. clearly not. 

Strategy from here - going over the solutions and referring back to the CFAI books, jotting down anything NB or that I see fit. This is taking me forever though. Two days later and I haven’t finished the first AM that I did two days ago. 

I feel like I am drowning. 

Saturday I’ll be doing the live sit-down mock exam - which I’m assuming I’ll fail miserably too? 

From Monday - mock exams, review weak spots in the same above sequence until Saturday 16th. The final week of studying - Monday Mock, Tuesday Mock, Wednesday Mock, Thursday Ethics, Friday half day of review and touch ups. (Final week’s mocks will be in exam-like conditions starting and ending at the same times. Then marking and starring off the weak spots which I’ll return to on Friday.)

All you guys above have made me feel a bit better but taking this long to review the answers to the first AM is freaking me out….

Zoe dont worry about your scores. I know plenty of people that never broke 60 on a mock and passed the test. Your time between now and the exam should just be reviewing answers. GIven your situation I would not put yourself through more apprehension doing more closed book tests. Just keep reviewing questions and answers regardless if right or wrong. 

On the day just stay cool and think rationally. You made it this far you can do it, don’t doubt your capabilities! 

Thank you for this.

So you’re saying to not do exam-condition mocks and rather doing them with their memo? (Well, obviously first answering the question myself?) If I’m not sure of the answer to go straight to the memo/text and learn it all like that. Still keeping score of what I knew off-hand. That’s how I’ve gotten through Uni, I just doubted that method after being told otherwise by everyone else… 

Writing the Schweser Mock tomorrow, I’m using it as a guiding tool. Get the hang of a million people, the procedures etc. 

PS: Sorry for all the separate posts. I have no idea how to delete them and only figured out how to directly reply now.

pejp wrote:

rexthedog wrote:

Zoe dont worry about your scores. I know plenty of people that never broke 60 on a mock and passed the test.

Can confirm. I think my last mock was in the high 50’s and I passed. 

One thing I noticed in the exam was that I was completely focused from start to finish, whereas when I did mock exams, I couldn’t help but rush through the last 20 or so questions, because I’d just want it to be over. I took them seriously, but obviously deep down I knew they were just mock exams. I’m convinced I picked up at least 10-20 points purely through being forced to be completely focused by the real exam setting. 

Makes me feel alot better, thank you. The same happens to me - I totally lose interest - its your subconscious getting bored from lack of adrenalin I rate.  

[/quote]

Thank you for this.

So you’re saying to not do exam-condition mocks and rather doing them with their memo? (Well, obviously first answering the question myself?) If I’m not sure of the answer to go straight to the memo/text and learn it all like that. Still keeping score of what I knew off-hand. That’s how I’ve gotten through Uni, I just doubted that method after being told otherwise by everyone else… 

Writing the Schweser Mock tomorrow, I’m using it as a guiding tool. Get the hang of a million people, the procedures etc. 

PS: Sorry for all the separate posts. I have no idea how to delete them and only figured out how to directly reply now.

[/quote]

Do it how you like, but if scores are worrying you, there is no point in putting yourself through that more now so close to the exam. Obviously working them closed book is much better, but what is most important is that you are absorbing the answers. So whatever the most efficient way is for you to do that over the next 2 weeks is, do it! Don’t worry about the scores anymore, just ensure you are seeing enough answers on every topic. Level 1 really is just a memory game to be honest. 

THe schweserr Q bank for level 1 was a beast. 

.....woof

Keep hammering mocks and qbank. That’s the key.