Calculator

Hey guys, can we bring a second normal calculator, like a casio, or should we only use the financial calculator even in our calculations? Because in the requirements they do not mention anything about the normal calcuator.

Thank you.

Why would you need a second calculator?

For calculating normal equations?

http://www.cfainstitute.org/en/about/governance/policies/cfa-calculator-policy

I strongly advise you against bringing a non-approved calculator to the exam. :-1:

I understand but how am I going to make calculations that do not require the financial calculator?

Obvious troll is obvious.

There will be no trigonometry on this exam. You can trust me: I’m old.

I know it is maybe stupid for you that I ask this question since thousands of people passed the exam with only the approved calculations, but there are many equations in the curriculum that need a normal calculator which displays the numbers and where you can put the whole equation into one, which is not the case for the financial calculator. The only algebra I use in it is when I have to divide an interest rate to use it for a PV or FV. Otherwise I use another calculator, to calculate other equations like, mcdur or a probability or any other equation of the many ones in the curriculum.

In case you’re not trolling, either master how to use the memorize function or simply do like I do, calculate each part separately and write it down, then sum them up. E.g (A+B)^2+(C*D). Simply do (A+B)^2, write it down, then do C*D and add it to the first calculation. Not the most effective way but it isn’t terribly time consuming and that way I minimize typos.

Oh God this is terrible! So I guess I need to go learn how to memorize the equations in the calculator. Thank you for your help!

Or use the 12c and RPN.

A B +

^2

C D *

A lot of the stuff is just inputs into pre-programmed worksheets - and make sure you know how to use them!!! Any “normal” calculation shouldn’t take more than a few keystrokes.

OP: Take an hour or so to read through the manual and do the example calcs. It will be very illuminating and save you time for LII and LIII. :+1:

You can even shoehorn some cumbersome calcs through the worksheets.