Treasury Stock Method - In the money?

Hey guys.

I’m kind of confused with the logic behind the in the money and out of the money while using the treasury stock method. Some examples doesn’t have a logic (at least for me). Let me put one from Investopedia:

"Consider a company that reports 100,000 basic shares outstanding, $500,000 in net income for the past year, and 10,000 in-the-money options and warrants, with an average exercise price of $50. The average market price for the shares in the last year was $100. Using the basic share count of the 100,000 common shares, the company’s basic EPS is $5 calculated as the net income of $500,000 divided by 100,000 shares. However, this number ignores the fact that 10,000 shares can be immediately issued if the in-the-money options and warrants are exercised.

Applying the treasury stock method, the company would receive $500,000 in exercise proceeds, calculated as 10,000 options and warrants times the average exercise price of $50, which it can use to repurchase 5,000 common shares on the open market at the average stock price of $100."

My questions are:

1. Why would I exercise the option when the exercise price is lower than the average market price? Is it because it is a call option?

2. If it is a call option, it doesn’t make any sense to receive $500,000 to then “hypothetically” repurchase at $100. Thoughts?

3. Why if it is in the money (making a profit) it is dilutive? Shouldn’t be the other way around?

4. In the exercises, they never tell you if it is a call or put option. Thoughts?

Hope you guys can clarify my misunderstanding!

Best!

Ok guys I read some more and now I have answered all of my questions.

Thanks!

That was easier than I thought.