Skipping Economics

Hi

Recently, I finished reading all books except Economics. I did two mock exams from shweser’s notes, and got 65-67%. Right now I’m planning to work on weak points, i.e. re-reading books.

But should I read economy part. From one hand it can help me get some points in Economics weight, however I can dedicate time spent on reading to improve other topics which I can understand better than the most boring part of curriculum. Not to mention Ethics part that I want to dedicate at least two weeks. Right now my score in Economics is 30-40%, which is because I can recall some things from economy classes.

Is there anybody who skipped Economy and passed?

I know someone that did. It’s not advisable to ever skip any section, but I do believe that when you’re on the home stretch to the exam, you need to pick your battles and focus on what will increase your chances of passing. My opinion.

Econ’s 10% of the exam; I, for one, wouldn’t skip it.

It’s also not all that difficult.

L1 Econ is like L3 GIPS. This was my strategy:

Learn enough to get the easy questions right, and be able to make an educated guess on the medium questions. Don’t worry about memorizing all the obscure stuff.

Amen!

I’m on the same boat but you have almost 2 months before the exam. I don’t think that dedicating 1-2 weeks for Econ would be bad, specially with two months.

+1 Just grasp enough that you’re going to get the low-hanging fruit on econ so you can reach higher in other topics. Most important thing about taking the exams is that you are not expected to know everything.

Understanding economics is of essence in world of finance, I agree some part are boring or badly explained, but here are some good guys who surely will help all candidates to master the stuff!

There might also be the case that on your favorite materials you encounter pretty fussy questions and than what? …be below min threshold by few %? Someone once told here you do not want to re do it do you…?

Economics skip you should not

Economics skip you should not

I wouldn’t. Even if you bomb econ, the few points you get could mean the difference from passing and failing.

In my opinion it would be more advisable to skip Alternative than Economies, since Alternative only makes up 4%. Anyway I do agree that every point makes a difference for passing the exam, if your preparing time is not a problem.

This.

Just read a condensed form once. My view on the way the Econ material is done in the CFA curriculum is areal example:

I got out of bed after healthy 8h of sleep, started reading with a cup of coffee and 15 min later I was falling asleep. I like Econ in general and have studied in before, sorry to say that but the way it is written in the curriculum is made to have you fail it on the exam. BOP is especially entertaining.

Indeed, years after I attempted for the first time, I decided to give it another try and find the curriculum harder to comprehend, massive amounts of text with close to zero value, very boring to read and despite i do speak pretty good English, I find lots of words that appear to have come out of a non-modernised Dickens novel…

Didn’t skip it. Now it is one of my strongest parts. Around 80-90% in mocks in eco