Ethics Question.. Am I missing something here?

Q. Kazuya Kato, CFA, is a widely followed economist at a global investment bank. When Kato opines on economic trends, markets react by moving stock valuations considerably. When Kato receives information of a temporary oversupply of rare earth metals, he issues a forecast that price trends for rare earth metals will be down significantly on a long-term basis. Kato also secretly sells his report to a widely followed Internet site. Prior to issuing this forecast, Kato emailed all portfolio managers at his bank with a copy of his report indicating that his opinion would be reversed shortly so there will be trading opportunities. Kato most likely violated which of the following CFA Institute Code of Ethics and Standards of Professional Conduct?

1. Market Manipulation.
  2. Priority of Transactions.
  3. Additional Compensation Arrangements.
    Solution

B is correct because Kato exaggerated the potential for negative price movement with rare earth metals and violated Standard II(B)–Market Manipulation by aiming to profit on the volatility created by his actions. Standard II(B) requires that members and candidates uphold market integrity by prohibiting market manipulation. Market manipulation includes the dissemination of false or misleading information and transactions that deceive or would be likely to mislead market participants by distorting the price-setting mechanism of financial instruments. Standard IV(B)–Additional Compensation Arrangements was violated when he sold his report to the internet site. Standard VI(B)–Priority of Transactions has not been violated as it relates to investment transactions for clients and employers having priority over Member or Candidate transactions.

A is incorrect because Kato exaggerated the potential for negative price movement with rare earth metals and violated Standard II(B)–Market Manipulation by aiming to profit on the volatility created by his actions. Standard II(B) requires that members and candidates uphold market integrity by prohibiting market manipulation. Market manipulation includes the dissemination of false or misleading information and transactions that deceive or would be likely to mislead market participants by distorting the price-setting mechanism of financial instruments.

C is incorrect because Standard IV(B)–Additional Compensation Arrangements was violated when he sold his report to the internet site.

I have no idea what you’re missing.

I’m missing an explanation of what A, B, and C are.

Q. Kazuya Kato, CFA, is a widely followed economist at a global investment bank. When Kato opines on economic trends, markets react by moving stock valuations considerably. When Kato receives information of a temporary oversupply of rare earth metals, he issues a forecast that price trends for rare earth metals will be down significantly on a long-term basis. Kato also secretly sells his report to a widely followed Internet site. Prior to issuing this forecast, Kato emailed all portfolio managers at his bank with a copy of his report indicating that his opinion would be reversed shortly so there will be trading opportunities. Kato most likely violated which of the following CFA Institute Code of Ethics and Standards of Professional Conduct?

A. Market Manipulation.

B. Priority of Transactions.

C. Additional Compensation Arrangements

The answer is B

B is correct because Kato exaggerated the potential for negative price movement with rare earth metals and violated Standard II(B)–Market Manipulation by aiming to profit on the volatility created by his actions. Standard II(B) requires that members and candidates uphold market integrity by prohibiting market manipulation. Market manipulation includes the dissemination of false or misleading information and transactions that deceive or would be likely to mislead market participants by distorting the price-setting mechanism of financial instruments. Standard IV(B)–Additional Compensation Arrangements was violated when he sold his report to the internet site. Standard VI(B)–Priority of Transactions has not been violated as it relates to investment transactions for clients and employers having priority over Member or Candidate transactions.

The last sentence of the explanation confuses me

The explanation makes it sound as though A is the correct answer. (A is, in fact, correct.)

Where did you get this question? Perhaps it’s just a typo.

Yes I chose A and figured that could possibly be the case. But, since it was from the online q bank CFAI provides I didn’t think it would be wrong.

I believe even the online bank has some mistakes. I noticed 2 or 3 in the Ethics section in the book. The explanation obviously pointed to the right answer and yet the bolded part had the wrong answer highlighted. When I saw it the first time I lost my head because I knew that what I was thinking had to be the right answer and yet it wasn’t.

If they’ve made mistakes in the book like that, then maybe they have mistakes in the online question bank as well.

SO frustrating when answering questions and clearly seeing the inconsistencies.

It is better to get as much wrong answers as possible and work, figure out the problems and weak sides before real exam.

Hi, I got this question wrong as well.

From the phrasing of the answer, it appears that this is a typo, and the question is meant to read “least likely” instead of “most likely”.

This is suggested by the following sentence:

“Standard VI(B)– Priority of Transactions has not been violated as it relates to investment transactions for clients and employers having priority over Member or Candidate transactions.”