Coding in Finance

Just wanted to get anyone’s opinion on the role coding has in finance currently and in the future? How are you guys preparing for the technology overhaul soon coming ot the finance industry and in many ways has already taken place

Do not be on the receiving end of the tech wave. It is coming and already changing this industry. Rather make sure you hop on and surf that wave The best way to do that is to become a tech expert yourself. Given you are already an investment expert (or becoming one) will make you very successful.

One of the best career advice I read is from Scott Adams (Creator of Dilbert)

"If you want an average successful life, it doesn’t take much planning. Just stay out of trouble, go to school, and apply for jobs you might like. But if you want something extraordinary, you have two paths:

1. Become the best at one specific thing. 2. Become very good (top 25%) at two or more things.

The first strategy is difficult to the point of near impossibility. Few people will ever play in the NBA or make a platinum album. I don’t recommend anyone even try.

The second strategy is fairly easy…"

I use my secret tech sauce. It’s business strategy I won’t share but you’ll be hearing about me…

Luckily I have the one-up on most. I worked in IT before moving to finance as well as programed since I was just a kid. I program in several languages. Actually one of the reasons I was hired at my firm was due to my background programming. We now model using MATLAB on our portfolio and of course I automated all our other processes with Python and VBA for excel things.

Programming is a must have skill in finance if you ask me.

Start with Python. You should be able to pick it up in a few weeks. Then you can move to R and C#. But if you plan to go to a firm with a large size, then learn MATLAB instead of R and C#. The era of the Coding Millennials is now. This is the world of Big Data, excel is far too weak and slow for Big Data.