TMV - Drawing time lines during exam

Hey there. I’m wondering for those who have taken, and preferably passed, the level 1 exam if you were taking the time to draw time line graphs when solving TMV questions. With an average of a minute and a half per question, there is not much time to waste. However, I know drawing time lines is makes these questions easier and reduces mistakes. Should I focus on learning how to do these questions strongly without having to draw them? Or does drawing them, in your opinion, actually make the questions shorter in duration for you? Thoughts on the topic are greatly appreciated.

On complicated questions draw always a timeline. This is very helpful and will prevent you from doing stupid errors. With some training this won’t take more than 20 seconds.

Regards,

Oscar

I draw timelines for any multi-stage tmv problems. I get tripped up if I don’t. Doesn’t take very long. I also found that on both the mocks and the live exam, I had time left over so you have time to really work each question.

Doesn’t hurt to draw them, especially for complicated questions. With practice, it doesn’t take long, and you can recoup the time on other easier problems anyway.

I’ve even suggested to some people to notch in the compounding periods on the underside of the timeline. It’s more useful for lump sum type questions for an n-year deposit with m-thly compounding.

Try to practice with the calculator as much as possible then when you take your mocks practice drawing your charts, etc. You need to be really efficient with your calculator. You need to know your timing. Then add extra steps as necessary with the time available. You’ll find that drawing charts is very helpful. If you know your timing you won’t have to worry about the 90 seconds AVERAGE per question.

Please I want to joint a CFA level I study group Whatsapp group…

Someone can help me ?

Thanks…

If you study the right way you should be building time up as you go. You’ll find on the exam that you can answer some questions in like 10 seconds or less.

So, in terms of drawing a timeline yes, do it. I drew timelines for all three levels.

+1. drawing timelines helped me to visualize the problem