Ethics

I swear Im an ethical guy but Im having some trouble with ethics. Often times I will come across questions that IMO violate two or more standards and the answers will offer choices as such, but the correct answer violates one standard only for example. What is the trick to acing this section as it is so important to passing based on its weighting? Should I simply memorize (understand) each individual standard and be able to recite the Code?

Memorizing and reciting DOES NOT WORK.

Ethics is one of my stronger topics, and I don’t remember which particular section pertains to which code. Your struggle may be due to the way you comprehend the question.

Try posting a couple questions you got wrong along with your rationale for your answer to figure this out.

Thank you. Here is one:

https://ibb.co/dgjB9KH

What is the reason that this did not violate the standard on market manipulation? In other questions similar to this I have seen, behavior like this on online message boards is considered market manipulation. Is it because it is his firms projections as opposed to his personal beliefs or opinions?

So he posted his firm’s optimistic research projections on the client. Say his firm expected the client to earn $120 instead of the market consensus of $100. As long as his firm did some homework (the question did not say the firm did not do its homework, and he has no reason to believe it didn’t as the question did not say so), there’s nothing wrong with sharing the research findings completed by his colleagues (the question did say he is a salesman) and hey, it doesn’t need to be line with market consensus of $100 either. Bear in mind there’s the underlying assumption too that the research ppl are separate from the underwriting ppl of the firm. The textbook should have covered this concept.

The key takeaway is, there’s no evidence within the case that suggests foul play, hence no violation.

And what specifically are you referring to when you say ‘behaviour like this’ ?

1 Like