Chi Square

Hi,

In a one-tailed test of X2 how do you compare the critical value with the test statistical? 

Example: Fund Alpha has been in existence for 20 months, during this period the standard deviation of monthly returns has been 5%. You want to test a claim by the fund manager that the standard deviation of monthly return is less than 6%? The critical value or rejection point given is a 0.05 level of significance.

Answer: X2 = 13.19 and Rejection point based on df and significance = 0.05 is 10.1 and answers says, “since the test statistic is higher than the rejection point we can NOT reject H0.

But I am confused as per my understanding since the critical point is less than the X2, H0 should be rejected! Could anyone please help me to understand?

Begin your Level II studies with a FREE Schweser JumpStart Package. Available to December 2019 Level I CFA candidates only. Offer expires 1/29.

I agree with you.

Where did you get this question?

Simplify the complicated side; don't complify the simplicated side.

Financial Exam Help 123: The place to get help for the CFA® exams
http://financialexamhelp123.com/

my statistics book seem to agree with the answer.

according to my textbook, for a left-tailed chi-square test, if the test statistic is greater than the critical value (found on the table), you cannot reject the null hypothesis. that is:

critical value < test statistic: fail to reject null hypothesis

critical value > test statistic: reject the null hypothesis

in this case,

H0 : sigma = .06

H1 : sigma < .06 (original claim)

Ah … you didn’t say that 10.1 was the lower critical value.  I was thinking that it was the upper critical value.

I admit that I haven’t looked at a chi-square table in a while, so I don’t have a good feel for the magnitude of the critical values.

Simplify the complicated side; don't complify the simplicated side.

Financial Exam Help 123: The place to get help for the CFA® exams
http://financialexamhelp123.com/

there are three kinds of Xtests.

1) if you are testing the claim volatility < some number K, use the left-tailed test

2) if you are testing the claim volatility > some number K, use the right-tailed test

3) if you are testing the claim that volatility is not equal to some number K, use the two-tailed test

for this problem, you are testing if the volatility is less than some number, so you need to do a left-tailed test

wow. perfect!!! thanks so much, everyone for clarification:)

IFT world-course provider’s video

Test_20 wrote:

Hi,

In a one-tailed test of X2 how do you compare the critical value with the test statistical? 

Example: Fund Alpha has been in existence for 20 months, during this period the standard deviation of monthly returns has been 5%. You want to test a claim by the fund manager that the standard deviation of monthly return is less than 6%? The critical value or rejection point given is a 0.05 level of significance.

Answer: X2 = 13.19 and Rejection point based on df and significance = 0.05 is 10.1 and answers says, “since the test statistic is higher than the rejection point we can NOT reject H0.

But I am confused as per my understanding since the critical point is less than the X2, H0 should be rejected! Could anyone please help me to understand?

It’s a left-tailed test (i.e. less than 6%) so the 5% rejection point is on the left hand side of the distribution. Your rejection decision should be:

- Reject H0 if chi-sq test statistic < 10.1

- Do not reject H0 if test statistic > 10.1

Since the test statistic is 13.19, so hence you cannot reject H0.

——————————————
Find useful resources on the CFA exams at http://www.youtube.com/c/FabianMoa