Sufficient Time to Study for CFA Level 1 Exam this Dec07???

Hi Need some advice from you guys. Am an engineering graduate and also obtained my accounting masters and CPA. Just quit my audit job (pay sucks and long hours). Taking this CFA full time in a way before I look for finance job…Started last week…you guys think I can finish the materials?? Read through FSA and feel I can handle it… Thanks in advance…

bad move. should have at least have another job before quitting. your results will be back in feb, assuming you pass, and u will need another month or so to go thru interviews. so you will be jobless for about 9 months.

Well worse come to worse I can take any accounting job first. In fact decided to do that after my CFA exams…

Hi there, I’m taking the exam in Dec and I just started studying two weeks ago. Given that you have some experience with certain subjects, I think it’s doable. That’s not to say you won’t have to study a lot. The CFA CBOK is huge, so even well studied finance grads like me have allotted upwards of 100-200 hours to reviewing the materials. If you’re like me and feel semi-comfortable with the material, I’d suggest going with Schweser study notes because they’re the most condensed. But take that advice with a grain of salt. I’ve talked to many who have recommended these notes, but I haven’t checked out the other ones, so I can’t say for sure that these are the best. So far though, I think they’ve been pretty good. Hope this helps, Logi

Dude, if your not working, you can easily finish the material in about a month and a half. I guess it really depends on how ambitious you are…

You have plenty of time. I started April 15th for June’s exam and, although stressful at times, ended up getting through it. To echo bmwhype’s point, real, real bad move quitting a job without another lined up.

For the level 1 going full time you’ve got plenty of time. It’s even possible to clear level 1 if you were to start studying now and you were working. A lot of level 1 is stuff you would have seen in a business undergrad program.

No disrespect but you quit your job to concentrate on the CFA??? You are freaking nuts, let me guess you live with your parents? or your gf or bf or husband or wife or whoever and they are supporting you??? A responsible serious adult will not quite a job to study for this full time, but again I know nothing about you so…But yes I agree with everyone else bad move.

Sometimes people quit because the job is heading in the wrong direction… My example: I am seriously contemplating resigning without having anything else lined up (as of yet). I am looking but it is getting to the point, where I can no longer stay and take the crap that is being poured on me. What I am saying is everyone’s situation is different and reasons may not be fully understood. Quiting a job without having another one lined up is a bad move, but in some cases, may be justified. my 2 cents… As for studying full time. you have plenty of time with Schweser or Stalla. Figure you do 6 hours a day for 30 days, thats already 180 hours and the rest just spend doing practice exams / questions. the way I study is by doing the questions in conjunction with the material to drill it in further. Best of luck to you

EngAudListCo_Director Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Hi > > Need some advice from you guys. Am an engineering > graduate and also obtained my accounting masters > and CPA. Just quit my audit job (pay sucks and > long hours). > > Taking this CFA full time in a way before I look > for finance job…Started last week…you > guys think I can finish the materials?? Read > through FSA and feel I can handle it… > > Thanks in advance… If you’re not working and still fresh with accounting knowledge why not Do 30 hrs a week (2 hrs morning & 2 hrs evening) for next 10 weeks. That’s 300 hrs

If you are not working, you have PLENTY of time to study. As far as quitting your job, unless the working conditions were absolutely hellish, it probably wasn’t the best move. Sometimes, I understand, you have to just get out. Either way, you’ll have to explain the gap in employment to a future employer. Since not many people take a sabbatical to study for the CFA, a future potential employer might find your time off a little strange. Lastly, you state your hours were long. Do you expect to work fewer hours in investments?

Hi, I have an MBA in Finance and an undergrad in Accounting + an MS - Computer Information Systems. Despite all of that I feel like I have to go through the material atleast twice. A lot of people have given guidelines as 250 - 300 hours but it all depends on how you study. Also keep in mind is that it will take you a couple of weeks to get into the groove so that leaves you with about two months (October and November) as you really get into it. The CFA material is too much in detail but the concepts are definitely very well explained. If you feel you are able to do 8 hours a day then definitely go for the CFA material and not Schweser. It will also build a much stronger foundation for level II. Hope this helps.

Did you pay attention during school…