Z-table and t-value table

Do we need to carry these tables at exam or they are provided by CFAI…?? thanks.

yes and you can also write formulas on the back of the sheet. you get one 8.5" x 11". good luck.

no, in all seriousness, you don’t need to bring any tables. if there are any t or z values you need to solve a problem, they will be provided. usually a little snippet of the table will be provided on the actual page with both correct and “plausibly” incorrect values. but, for sure, memorize the values for 90, 95, and 99% confidence. they will assume you know these, and a table will probably not be provided in the event that the problem requires knowledge of these critical values.

Don’t trust topher. You need to write out the t and z tables to four (4) significant figures. Yeah, it’s a haze, but that’s the ropes kiddo. If you haven’t purchased a Schweser type study aid, perhaps that will improve the efficiency of your CFA pursuits. You would not have asked this question had you dropped the quan for the Schweser; you wouldn’t need to. It would have been obvious.

you should know which table to use and how.

i am using schweser notes … in some of problems they havn’t mentioned the confidence levels and they solved that problem using 95% confidence level… could any body explain me why 95%??? thanks

95% is used very commonly. In many fields (psychology) it is used as the standard. The best anyone can come up with for a reason is that one time someone asked RA Fisher (Fisher: Statistics as Keynes: Economics) what the right # to use was and he replied “5% is no less arbitrary than any other number”.

december 2008 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > i am using schweser notes … in some of problems > they havn’t mentioned the confidence levels and > they solved that problem using 95% confidence > level… > > could any body explain me why 95%??? > > thanks I understand why you ask a bit better now. It’s customary to have the z values of 1.645 and 1.98 memorized by the time you are sufficiently familiar with the type of quant questions they ask, but you could still use the tables if you had to. I think many questions do not require the tables, and the ability to rapidly solve these problems without reference to tables will be a huge boost to your quant efficiency. Good luck.

on the actual exam there will be a portion of the table contained in the question. So just know 90%, 95%, and 99% z-values, know the theory, and know how to read a table and you will be set.

There is very little chance you will need to work out a 93.2% confidence interval, for example.