Level 1 "Round 2"

Hi All Im relatively new to this excellent forum, like many here I failed Level I - band 9, all 50-70 except Ethics which was >70. I am interested to see how other retakers are approaching round 2. Im leaning towards significantly reduced reading and focusing on answering questions from all 6 Schweser exams, CFAI Exams and perhaps Q - Bank for example. Post your strategy and what you think the pitfalls may be for a second attempt… I cant face a second fail because I have a family. Thanks!

hi , sorry to hear about your results, but i am sure you will get it right this time. can i ask you how much did you score on q bank before taking actual test

Hi Thanks for the words of encouragement. I actually didnt use Q-Bank and I think that was a mistake. This time I am seriously considering a purchase.

Subtract 10-15 from your Qbank score to get an estimate of the real exam.

kjh, 15% deduction is too high, so far i havent scored more then 79% in any test i have taken

I made a similar mistake of not taking Q-bank and any other test before ultimate exam and got failed. I am working on my weak areas first, will read inside out each section, and take max questions before the final exam. I am in similar situation, not starting my family till i pass L2 -hopefully in June 2009. So not keeping any excuses this time, every section to hit above 70.

edcsimons Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Hi > > Thanks for the words of encouragement. I actually > didnt use Q-Bank and I think that was a mistake. > This time I am seriously considering a purchase. How much / what is the Q-Bank? I’m a Stalla user but would definitely like to get in as many practice problems as possible.

level1_dec Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > kjh, > > 15% deduction is too high, so far i havent scored > more then 79% in any test i have taken Most of the people who passed were in the 80s at least. Some in the high 70s. I did not pass with 75s on the Qbank - intermediat/hard questions only. You have a ton of time to improve. You’re on the right track.

Practice Practice Practice… is the best way. Never seen any of this material before January this year but passed level 1 the first time. Do practice tests on each section using Qbank and get over 80%. Then do any other practice tests u can find!

KJH Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > level1_dec Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > kjh, > > > > 15% deduction is too high, so far i havent > scored > > more then 79% in any test i have taken > > > Most of the people who passed were in the 80s at > least. Some in the high 70s. I did not pass with > 75s on the Qbank - intermediat/hard questions > only. > > You have a ton of time to improve. You’re on the > right track. I didn’t get above 70 once in any mock, practice, or q bank test and I passed the actual exam. its tought to correlate qbank with the actual exam because the style of questions are so different…but I guess if you’re in the 80’s on qbank, you should know the sutff pretty good

ditto. jrs130 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > KJH Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > level1_dec Wrote: > > > -------------------------------------------------- > > > ----- > > > kjh, > > > > > > 15% deduction is too high, so far i havent > > scored > > > more then 79% in any test i have taken > > > > > > Most of the people who passed were in the 80s > at > > least. Some in the high 70s. I did not pass > with > > 75s on the Qbank - intermediat/hard questions > > only. > > > > You have a ton of time to improve. You’re on > the > > right track. > > > > > I didn’t get above 70 once in any mock, practice, > or q bank test and I passed the actual exam. its > tought to correlate qbank with the actual exam > because the style of questions are so > different…but I guess if you’re in the 80’s on > qbank, you should know the sutff pretty good

i didnt do q bank so i cant speak to that, i only did questions in the CFAI books and from my persepctive, they looked like real questons on June 2008 exam.

edcsimons Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Hi All > > Im relatively new to this excellent forum, like > many here I failed Level I - band 9, all 50-70 > except Ethics which was >70. > > I am interested to see how other retakers are > approaching round 2. Im leaning towards > significantly reduced reading and focusing on > answering questions from all 6 Schweser exams, > CFAI Exams and perhaps Q - Bank for example. > > Post your strategy and what you think the pitfalls > may be for a second attempt… I cant face a > second fail because I have a family. > > Thanks! ============================================================ I cant face a > second fail because I have a family. oh is it a rule or something …tht ppl having families cant fail second time???

I failed in the 9 band as well and was part surprised and part not. The Q bank CD that comes from Schweser was the best prep for me. Taking only sections in full 120 question tests help nail down my weak areas. The test was not nearly as hard as I thought it was going to be so pressure played a big factor. I am going to take a practice test every day until the December exam and I am positive I will pass this time. The explanation of why you got the question wrong is the most helpful thing ever. The CFA practice ones you could not go back to the question and therefore was not that helpful. There were not that many difficult calculation questions just know the basics backwards and forward from each section.

Hi! I failed with a band 7… I did a ton of study for it; but it just wasn’t enough!!! My tact: 1. Doing external courses with Quartic in London (started this weekend) 2. Re-doing all of the questions at the back of readings in CFA book. If I get something wrong, go back over the topic. Do these before the classes. 3. Q-Bank - I didn’t make enough use of this either. Do in the lead up to revision and during revision time 4. Redo past papers… Still petrified i’m going to fail again, but motivated to work my tokhes off to get it (again.)

miko a, there is a london group , would you like to join?

my recommendation is to study the CFAI books for 2 years. When you are finished and feel comfortable that you understand the concepts taught on the exam, then spend another year doing questions from Qbank. After 3 years, you should be ready to sit for level 1 and pass.

is that what u did NYLS

I failed Level 1 in Band 10… Pretty gutted about it, thought I’d done enough work to crawl over the finish line but plainly not. Scored >70 in FSA, Ethics and Fixed Interest, but badly let myself down in Quant with <50 which I think cost me in the end. Hardly surprising with an art history major… Can’t face the idea of failing again so getting stuck in to it already. I think second time around I will use the CFAI books much more, especially their questions which are more thorough than the Schweser ones. Qbank is prob a tiny bit easier than the actual exam, depends on how you structure it though. Definitely worth using to tie up knowledge. Either way, second time round you don’t have to spend so much time learning the stuff, and can put more time towards questions and really understanding the material. That’s the plan anyway…

i also hear Q bank is not like the real exam…