sample exam scores

within the last week of done 2 CFAi 60Q sample exams (1 free 1 paid). scores were 60% and 63%. for someone that has studied quiet hard over the past 3 mths this came as quiet a shock. I know that these are fairly representative of exam style questions (and certainly werent as ambiguous as schweser ones). how has everyone else performed in these tests? cheers

i took the free sample today, and scored a 56%. I am extremely disapointed in the score. i am going to ramp up my studying and review more

I think poster Isura (go 2p2!) said that the sample exams were slightly tougher than the real thing. You should also get a boost from adrenaline. I know I will concentrate a little more knowing what’s at stake. 63% is quite good for 5 weeks to go. I thought I read somewhere that sometimes less than 70% passes, so you’re almost there. Of course none of us would want to cut it that close. So far I’ve taken samples one and two and scored 45% and 58% respectively. I plan on taking the third this weekend or next. I challenge anyone to post a score worse than my 45%! I doubt anyone can :stuck_out_tongue:

thanks icetonz. sorry to hear your score but its nice to know others are int he same boat. we still have a month to go so sometimes scores like that are all thats needed to work a little harder!

You’ve got 3 things going for you: 1) MPS will be < 70%. 2) There is still over 5 weeks to go 3) A load (most?) of candidates have probably not finished the syllabus You all probably need to increase your scores from today (sorry but true - I imagine 63% is the only possible pass and tbh it’s unlikely) but assuming you keep studying you’re still (easily) in with a shot of this. The fact your already taking sample exams now shows you’re ahead of the field (remember loads of candidates don’t do any / more than 1). Keep at the study (ramp it up if you can), practice and you scores will improve. You’ll be amazed what you can improve in just 2 weeks let alone 5. If you can take a full week off work so much the better.

Just finished my first 60Q sample by 1am… 63%, but I realize I made about 6 mistakes which I really should not have made, completely misread the questions… Hopefully the few weeks left will be enough for a major break through.

I have you beat icetonez, scored 42%. I have yet to review any of the material though. I have read through everything. There were a # of problems from the earlier reading that I didn’t remember the key points, but remembered reading. Hopefully review and practice problems will get me there.

One other point I just thought of. There is a disadvantage with the sample exams in that you can’t skip tough questions and come back to them later. My strategy for multiple choice exams has always been to answer the ones I am most sure of and then go from there. Once you have your confidence in answering a good amount of questions and realize you’re OK on time, you can go back and more carefully dissect the tougher questions and better utilize the process of elimination technique, and maybe get some of those chances up to 50%.

icetonez Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > One other point I just thought of. There is a > disadvantage with the sample exams in that you > can’t skip tough questions and come back to them > later. My strategy for multiple choice exams has > always been to answer the ones I am most sure of > and then go from there. Once you have your > confidence in answering a good amount of questions > and realize you’re OK on time, you can go back and > more carefully dissect the tougher questions and > better utilize the process of elimination > technique, and maybe get some of those chances up > to 50%. Be careful. Chances are you won’t have enough time to go back. If that’s how you plan on doing it, my recommendation would be to answer the question with your best guess and go back later if you have time. I felt that the practice exams (from the CFAI) were very well representative of the actual exam. BUT, I felt the actual exam was a little bit harder (maybe due to the stressful environment). However, I didn’t get higher than a 67% leading up to the exam (with most falling in the 62 - 64%) and I passed. As for the minimum passing score, I believe that it is determined using the Angoff Method (google it if you’re curious). Don’t get discouraged if you aren’t doing well right now. There is still some time to pull it all together. Might I recommend taking the week off before the exam to study?

thanx guys. sounds like a few others are in the same position which is reassuring to know. taking the week off before to study, do hundreds of questions and revise the weak areas (for me thats 2nd half of quant, bond vals, eco).

Samples felt reasonably hard. I scored a 70, 71, and 70. Biggest take away for me was to read the questions more thoroughly. Each and every test I missed 1-3 simply due to assuming the last few words of the question.

I took the third sample today and scored 66%. Solid improvement going 45-58-66.

I scored a 62% on the CFA mock exam last May before taking the exam in June. It was only about 3 weeks before the exam. I found my weaker areas and focused on them more heavily with the Schweser material and hit the Q-Bank hard. After doing that the actual exam didn’t seem to bad because I was very prepared. Don’t get discouraged from these scores. It is still early. Keep your focus and work hard the last few weeks and you will be in a good position.

djjk1 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > within the last week of done 2 CFAi 60Q sample > exams (1 free 1 paid). scores were 60% and 63%. > for someone that has studied quiet hard over the > past 3 mths this came as quiet a shock. I know > that these are fairly representative of exam style > questions (and certainly werent as ambiguous as > schweser ones). > > how has everyone else performed in these tests? > > cheers i passed level on first try and i didnt pass a single CFAI mock exam two weeks before the exam. though i did take a full week off. i would actually say you are right where you need to be as long as you dont let up studying from here. your doing fine man! just dont give up! persistence is the hard work you put in after being tired from the hard work you already did!

Free CFAI Sample - 45% (It was still early in my studies) 1st paid sample - 70% I was quite shocked how easy the later sample exam was. It seemed like cake relative to all the Schweser problems I’ve been doing. I hope this is more indicative of the actual exam.

I scored a 68% on the first sample and just finished the second sample after studying hard this week and ended up with a 55%. I hate my life. I think the problem was that I just got really pissed off after bombing quant and, as a result, continued to suck for the remainder of the exam. I miss a lot of questions due to stupidity rather than not knowing the knowledge. Oh well, more motivation to study.

I had scored a 45% on the CFAI sample test and passed L1 very comfortably. Just keep doing the stuff and rest assured that the pass rate on AF is very high. Fail pops up on those browsers which have not tasted www.analystforum.com in the three months before the exam.

mwillsj Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I think the problem was that I just got really > pissed off after bombing quant Haha, ditto. I got 25% on that section

i’ve taken two samples, 73 and 75. think i’m gonna save the 3rd sample and the two mocks for a few weeks, just kind of nervous that i’m running out of test questions.

So what are you guys scores now (as of 11/12/08) ? Mine are not great - on QBank 100q easy medium and hard, cfa exam weighting, mine are 63,58, and 66 respectively How about you guys?