Thoughts on CFA Mock 1

I took this thing on Saturday, and it was tough as hell. There were multiple questions on topics I’ve never even heard of. So many questions test multiple topics simultaneously. It’s tough to stay in it mentally as you feel like your getting your butt whipped. When I hit submit I thought I was going to get a 50%, but managed 67% and I was actually quite thrilled considering my expectations as I was finishing. I finished with about 5 minutes to spare. I think if I can match that performance 12/6 I’ll pass. I think my biggest take aways are that on game day I need to be as rested as possible, and have an extremely clear mind. I also need to go in with confidence and a low stress level. I think mental preparation in the last few days before the exam will be more important than reading over any material. I think by that point you either know it or you don’t, so it’s more important to be sound mentally and well rested. Just my 2 cents at this point.

Tks, I hope to take this in the next few days…agree on technique and getting into exam mode, seems an important part of the preperation. I have to say if i get a score like yours I will be thrilled…well done!

Thanks for the insight BSS!

How did you find the FSA section? (groan)

I thought every section was difficult, FSA included. I’d say I wasn’t surprised about too many FSA questions, they were similar to samples and even book 6, but it seemed like there was an emphasis on knowing LIFO & FIFO like the back of your hand. I nailed ethics & quant (85%+ in each), but completely bombed FI (~33%). I’ve never scored that poorly on FI in samples/book 6, so I’m a little puzzled. Edit to add: I scored 66.67% on FSA

broken, What do you suggest to practice ethics ? I bombed that section in Sample…Are Q bank questions (Moderate+Hard) on Ethics good practice… i scored 44% on that and overall 65% :frowning:

Are the CFA mock easier than the mocks at Schweser or they have the same level ? What about the CFa sample ? I didn´t take any CFA mocks yet but have done a CFA sample and Schweser. It seems that the CFA sample is easier than Schweser…do youa gree ? What about the CFA mock ? Tks

I may be the only one on this board that feels this way, but I think the Schweser Mocks are significantly harder than the CFA Mocks. I’ve spoken to numerous people I work with who have their CFA designation already, and most agree that the Schweser practice exams are much harder than the actual test and that the QBank is a better example of what to expect. With that in my mind, I personally have found the two types of questions to be very different, with Schweser being more tricky and time consuming, and the CFAI being very straight-forward.

jdane, agree with Schweser appearing harder…have you done Cfa samples or mocks, to arrive at your judgement?

after hammering qbank, taking 2 CFAI 60Q samples, and 1 scheswer practice test, I have to say that schweser seems to be the hardest. I guess we shall find out this weekend when I take my first CFA Mock!

I scored better on Book 6 Exam 1 AM, and both Book 6 Exam 2 sessions than I did on the Mock, but all have been close. I felt like the Mock was much, much tougher though. Book 6 Exam 1 AM: 70% Book 6 Exam 1 PM: 65% Book 6 Exam 2 AM: 68% Book 6 Exam 2 PM: 69% Mock I: 67% charu_mulye, for ethics, read over the Standards Handbook from the CFA website.

perdition - I’ve taken all 3 CFAI Samples and the first Mock. I finished Schweser Book6 this past weekend and will start on Book7 this coming weekend.

Taking Mock 1 later today! A little nervous…scored 58, 61, and 65 on the 3 cfai samples, now hoping to hit that ever so elusive 70%

jdane: agree with you about the difficulty of the schweser exams. it shouldnt take 5mins to do 1 question like it does with those. the cfai exam questions seem to be more consistent in difficulty and wont require more than 1 to 2mins of calcs/steps to get the answers. guys with all your scores in the 60s your sounding pretty good with a few weeks to go. remember the passsing score will not necessarily be spot on 70%. stay focused

is CFA mock 1 the free one?

No, the 1st sample exam is free. The other 2 samples are 40 per. The mocks can be bought together for $100, or separately for 60 per.

Mock 1 had a ton of calculations. I scored an awful 53%.

i did Book6 mock1 today 1AM 75.8 1PM 71.7 but I just have enough time to fill in all the mcq and no time left i think this book just want to consume our 3 hours and make us feel the time is so tight most questions could certainly get the answer in 5min, but it is no sense to spend 5 min per question, so, i think some guessing technique is required to deal with book6 also, be more confident most questions are asking which statement is “least accurate” once you sure, or just 80% sure that is false statement, just choose it, don’t read other choices and spend time to confirm your choice those are all my feeling after doing 1 mock exam today

delete

"don’t read other choices and spend time to confirm your choice " I have to disagree STRONGLY with that statement. Many times questions will ask which is the BEST answer to a given situation. Therefore, while multiple answer choices will be “right”, there is only one that is the BEST option for the situation. If you don’t take the time to read all the answer choices you will no doubt lose points come test day.