Just got off the phone with Schweser

I called to ask if they have any recommendations on what candidates who just took Level I in December should be doing before Jan 28 (if anything). She said that most are doing nothing, but a couple of people have ordered the bare minimum package for $329 (notes, exam back, quick sheet). If they pass, they can upgrade to whatever pack they want and it won’t cost more (i.e. it will be the same price as if they ordered the premium all at once on jan 29). Of course, the risk is that if you fail, you lose your $329. What do you guys think of this? I’m not made out of money at all, but I think $329 is a small price to pay for an extra month of studying. I honestly expected it to cost more. Do you guys think this is a good idea? I’m very very very cautiously optimistic that I passed, but I have no way of knowing until Jan 28 of course. I look at it like this: if I did pass, I’m really going to wish I had that extra month of Jan. If I fail, then I wasted a month studying Level II material–stuff I’m going to have to know in the future anyway–so big freakin deal. The rep. said she’s going to speak to marketing group and get back to me today to see what they recommend.

I remember they had a deal last year where you can go on this “insurance” type of plan where you put down about $200, and they will send you pdf’s of everything. Then if you pass, they will send you all the real books, and you just pay the difference for whichever package you want to get. If you fail, you can contribute that $200, toward a new set of L1 books again.

I actually just bought the books, as $329 is affordable! If I passed L1, then that’s great if not, then oh well. One of my colleagues told me that it is better to hedge your position this way, than only having 4 months of studying:)

Eh that’s a so so plan. Correct me if I’m wrong but you can’t print the pdfs right? So you can’t highlight or write stuff in margins. PLus the pdfs don’t hahve questions at the end.

you’re better off buying a used 2008 package for $30, most of the readings are identical then upgrade to 2009 if you pass

Which readings are not identical? Don’t want to read those…

I agree with spikering. Also, I forgot to mention in my first post above that when I spoke to her on the phone I said that I think the most ideal option would be a “new option” for December L1’ers where you can buy just the first two schweser books. Because think about it, we want January to get started on our studies; we don’t need quicksheet or exams in January. What if they had an option that was like $149 for Books 1 and 2? That would be affordable and would make sense. Even if I could not apply the $149 towards the Level II upgrade or even could not apply it to the repurchase of Level I books, I’d still do it and accept the $150 charge. She said she’d send Marketing an email. If anyone agrees with this, then give Schweser a call today and ask them for it haha. The more people that call the better, as the woman told me that the Marketing Team is deciding now on a new option to put out next week.

BrokenSocialScene Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Which readings are not identical? Don’t want to > read those… http://www.analystforum.com/phorums/read.php?12,819944

supersharpshooter Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > BrokenSocialScene Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Which readings are not identical? Don’t want > to > > read those… > > > http://www.analystforum.com/phorums/read.php?12,81 > 9944 Íè õóÿ ñåáå! Made my day, supersharpshooter.

supersharpshooter Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > BrokenSocialScene Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Which readings are not identical? Don’t want > to > > read those… > > > http://www.analystforum.com/phorums/read.php?12,81 > 9944 I looked through this link. There are no changes in LOS names in the first 3 SS, but does that mean there are no changes within the text? I dono, I’d feel much more comfortable with the 2009 version, even if I had to shell out some dough…

I’ve looked on ebay & amazon for 2008 Schweser and there’s not a whole lot out there. Anyone else have luck somewhere else?

No luck, especially in Canada. I just bought the Essential Solutions package. Like you originally said BSS, you will be able to sell the stuff if you don’t pass…

Guys/Gals, I would wait. This is alot of money to be just throwing around. You will just have to get down and dirty with it come decision day. So spending $300 plus b/c there is a chance that you passed does not seem worth it.

Yeah I need to stop trying to figure out the exact best course of action and buy something. I’m thinking like Show NY and might just pony up the $329 and then just sell $329 worth of what I’ll consider junk at that point rather than $599 worth. Time to call Schweser…

the show NY Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > supersharpshooter Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > BrokenSocialScene Wrote: > > > -------------------------------------------------- > > > ----- > > > Which readings are not identical? Don’t want > > to > > > read those… > > > > > > > http://www.analystforum.com/phorums/read.php?12,81 > > > 9944 > > > I looked through this link. There are no changes > in LOS names in the first 3 SS, but does that mean > there are no changes within the text? I dono, I’d > feel much more comfortable with the 2009 version, > even if I had to shell out some dough… yeah you’re right that even if a reading stayed the same the LOS could have changed, though i think in most instances the LOS were simply re-worded but still reflect the same concept i passed in june and i always have my 2009 curriculum and LOS in front of me if i’m reinforcing with second-hand 2008 notes (i don’t plan on shelling out money on new ones) i didn’t actually create this thing to use 2008 notes on their own, but i figured some people who are going the 2008 notes route might be able to make use of it. maybe the 2009 CFAI LOS outline will be more useful than my page for those with old notes and no '09 L2 curriculum.

hey guys, the shcweser books cost $89 each if you buy them individually. so would you pay $178 + tax + shipping to get books 1 and 2 and use them in january? if you fail, you lose $200. if you pass, you dont lose anything, because when you upgrade (to premium, for example, for $1000), they will charge you $1000 - $178.

BrokenSocialScene Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Yeah I need to stop trying to figure out the exact > best course of action and buy something. > > > I’m thinking like Show NY and might just pony up > the $329 and then just sell $329 worth of what > I’ll consider junk at that point rather than $599 > worth. > > Time to call Schweser… To be honest, I would be very surprised if you didn’t pass. I could tell you put in the effort and I remember you answering a lot of questions. Already as is, AF’ers have an edge on level 1, especially over some of the other candidates that sort of “wing” it.

Thanks Ali.

I don’t know guys… I understand not waiting until Jan 28 to start, but today??? Don’t you think you need some time (at least get through and enjoy the holidays) before cranking it up again? I would be concerned with burnout, especially coming of the Level I marathon. Or maybe I’m just making excuses to drink my face off. Fortunately, there some people at the office that are taking L II so I can just borrow their books, but I am at least waiting until the first week of January. Plus, keep in mind you can d/l the L II ethics reading from the CFA website.

plan was to start a few days after new years…