Wow, ethics is LONG!!!

Reading 2 is like at least 3-4 readings. There is SO MUCH stuff to know. I am understanding what I’m reading, but it’s just taking much longer than I expected. I’ll have to pick up the pace in other sections, such as some of the numerical analysis readings and economics readings. Now I understand why ethics is considered the toughest section and why so many candidates save it for the end.

Ethics IS long but it’s a fast read… and yes it’s very important, don’t underestimate the difficulty of Ethics questions!

DiehardValueInvestor Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Reading 2 is like at least 3-4 readings. There is > SO MUCH stuff to know. I am understanding what > I’m reading, but it’s just taking much longer than > I expected. > > I’ll have to pick up the pace in other sections, > such as some of the numerical analysis readings > and economics readings. > > Now I understand why ethics is considered the > toughest section and why so many candidates save > it for the end. Actually, the only difficult thing about ethics is the way that CFAI presents the questions on the actual exam, not the material itself. What you just read is probably the easiest study session in the entire CFA curriculum. WTF is up with that signature? Is that supposed to mean something?

haha…i have finished ethics…sounded easy and yes it was a fast read…

It’s approximately 15% of the exam but only 7 or 8% of the actual reading material. Knowing it is a MUST. Good luck.

L1 ethics has a bigger bang for the buck than L2 (L2 ethics is longer and only worth 10%). Don’t skip/neglect ethics and def. do a lot of practice problems so you know the tricks they are going to pull come exam day . . .

Get used to it. Levels 2 and 3 have the same handbook, but those “optional segments” lines mysteriously disappear.

McLeod81 Wrote: > Actually, the only difficult thing about ethics is > the way that CFAI presents the questions on the > actual exam, not the material itself. What you > just read is probably the easiest study session in > the entire CFA curriculum. Uhhhh, isnt that what Ethics is all about? Navigating extremely grey areas? Any genius can crunch numbers, CFAI is trying to get folks that can do that plus not pull a mini- Madoff.

Read ethics once now. 2 times about 1 month before you take your exam. once at the beg. of the month and once before test time maybe a week. Do the problems from CFAI. Ul get it.

Whoever said do the qustions is on the right track. Simply reading the material doesn’t address any of the loopholes, or pit near-violations against clear violations and have you choose which is worst. Doing the practice Qs adjusts your thinking to look for red flags that appear when you’re doing actual exam questions.

If you want something easy, go be an interior designer! Ehehehehe just kidding!!! Always keep the material fresh, do questions and read often like everyone’s saying

DiehardValueInvestor Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Reading 2 is like at least 3-4 readings. There is > SO MUCH stuff to know. I am understanding what > I’m reading, but it’s just taking much longer than > I expected. > > I’ll have to pick up the pace in other sections, > such as some of the numerical analysis readings > and economics readings. > > Now I understand why ethics is considered the > toughest section and why so many candidates save > it for the end. Weak. Just wait for FSA :slight_smile:

One word of advice… READ ALL OF THE EXAMPLES

Read the actual SPC which is downloadable from the CFAI website. Read it now and the week before the exam. Answer as many Q’s as possible for Ethics, if you rely only on the ones in the CFAI books, you’ll bomb the real thing.

I actually thought ethics was the easiest part of the test and only read through it once and consistently scored in the 80’s and 90’s on the Stalla and CFA Mocks. One word of advice…Pay attention to GIPS.

Trying to find and connect the underlying logic is the key for ethics. I know that’s not really helpful, but there really are general principles that they do follow and can be applied to the questions. Its more of a ‘knack’ thing that does take time to get, and just reading it fast and the fact that its ‘easy’ will put anybody in a surprise during the exam. And grant it, there are some questions where it will seem to have no logic in its relation to the Code, but as long as you get what you can, that’ll be suffice.

Agreed, the section had a lot of pages but it seemed to be a fairly quick read considering. I plan on reading it at least 2 more times to really nail it.