'09 materials for '10?

Hey guys (and…girls?), Here is my predicament, was looking for a little advice from the forum. As it stands I want to start studying for my level I. I have been looking around and think I will plunk down the 1k for the schweser package. While I would be “tentatively” scheduled for the december exam, due to a few circumstances I don’t know if I would be ready come december. How comparable is test prep material? I’m thinking that I pick up the materials now, start to study. Come august if I know that I am nowhere close to being ready, hold off and register for June. If I know that december will be an acceptable time, register for the december sitting. Basically either I start studying now and can sit for december. Or, I have to sit for June and have a large amount of study and prep time and by not registering for dec now, don’t run the chance of having to pull out from the exam Does this seem like a workable scenario? Or is there a flawed logic I would appreciate someone poking a hole in and bringing to my attention. Outside of that just wanted to say hello to everyone and look forward to being an ongoing member of this forum.

'09 materials will be plenty sufficient to take exam next year. you can probably pick up '09 books, exams on ebay then buy q-bank from schweser few months before the exam. with this much time you can read CFAI txt and then buy q-bank as exam approaches. shcweser material is very good, but i think retention is better if you can spend time reading cfai txt. enjoy

the nice thing about analystforum, you receive really intelligent answers. thank you so much.

With the curriculum coming prebundled in the registration fee, would purchasing cfa institute materials on ebay end up becoming duplicates when I sign up for an exam? If I want to studying for the june '10 test now (potentially dec '09 but want the failsafe) will I basically end up paying more for materials no matter?

swansong Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > With the curriculum coming prebundled in the > registration fee, would purchasing cfa institute > materials on ebay end up becoming duplicates when > I sign up for an exam? > > If I want to studying for the june '10 test now > (potentially dec '09 but want the failsafe) will I > basically end up paying more for materials no > matter? Unless you have absolutely no life, the books you buy now will most likely end up being glanced at a few times and then stacked in the basement never to see the day of light again. You would be better spending the next six months not worrying about the exam and stuffing a few dollars under your pillow every paycheck so you can buy stalla or schweser study guides in January. Six months is more then enough time to prepare for the exam.