Is L2 easier to L1?

Thanks guys for the responses to my earlier ‘how to crack L2’ thread. I will pay heed to all u said and try to stick by a strict regimen of at least 20hrs a week study schedule from now on. Now I have another question which U may find a tad stupid, but please bear with it anyway. My question is why they say that L2 is easier than L1, how its easy in which perspective? Can someone answer whether its true and if indeed its (so nice to hear!) then why and how its so? Many thanks in advance again.

yeah man it’s a piece of cake

i’m not sure if my memory is blurred, but i’m positive these boards once had constructive questions being posted.

that’s why my response to an inane question…

If you passed L1 with 7 topics above 70%, there is no need for you to even study for L2. If you want to at least feel like you’ve put some work in, just read the Schweser summary’s at the end of every reading once and you should be good to go. Anything more than that would be overkill.

way easier, material is easier, less complex, not that many formulas, straight forward, you get the picture. In fact, if you have passed L1, no need to study that much for L2. Good luck.

sasankm Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Thanks guys for the responses to my earlier ‘how > to crack L2’ thread. I will pay heed to all u said > and try to stick by a strict regimen of at least > 20hrs a week study schedule from now on. > > Now I have another question which U may find a tad > stupid, but please bear with it anyway. > > My question is why they say that L2 is easier than > L1, how its easy in which perspective? Can someone > answer whether its true and if indeed its (so nice > to hear!) then why and how its so? Many thanks in > advance again. It is much harder, I believe due to the way the test is structured.

Most people consider L2 to be much more difficult than L1.

I think as long as you did OK on 1, you’re so money you don’t even know it on 2. Everyone I’ve talked to has said 2 is WAY easier than 1, stick to Thommo’s advice and you’ll be fine.

Ahahahaha, oh man, these responses are mean. Sasankm, absolutely everything I’ve heard and everyone I’ve spoken to [who wasn’t kidding…] has said that Lvl 2 is exponentially harder than Lvl 1. I don’t know about 20 hours/week or any such number. I’m sure it varies depending on background/study style effectiveness. I myself just basically have planned to use almost all of my free time. Dates with the girlfriend now consist of take-out and the two of us studying for our various exams [her: law school, me: CFA]. It’s all quite sexy and intimate.

cpk123 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > that’s why my response to an inane question… +1 Some folks just feel like posting…, no matter how ridiculous the question. I guess this makes them feel like they’re contributing to the forum as well. This is why I never respond to any of these silly questions. We have only 4 months left before L2, and “why is L2 harder than L1” is what sasankm thought to ask on the forum?? Just ridiculously insane!

Yep super easy, just like your mom.

Damil4real Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > cpk123 Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > that’s why my response to an inane question… > > > +1 > > Some folks just feel like posting…, no matter > how ridiculous the question. I guess this makes > them feel like they’re contributing to the forum > as well. This is why I never respond to any of > these silly questions. > > We have only 4 months left before L2, and “why is > L2 harder than L1” is what sasankm thought to ask > on the forum?? Just ridiculously insane! It is not that unreasonable of a question if you don’t know other people in the program, or if you don’t spend a lot of time on AF you would not know.

In your initial post you say, “My question is why they say that L2 is easier than L1…” Who are they? have they ever studied levels 1 & 2? Roll your sleeves up get stuck into studying the CFA texts and see if you join the consensus on here.

Here is a serious response: no. In fact, it’s my belief that L2 is significant harder than L1. To pass L1, you need to work hard. To pass L2, you need to suffer a little bit. Those who say L1 is harder than L2 probably never passed L1.

Okay, here’s my serious answer. I just pulled a copy/paste on something that I wrote last August. L2 had a similar amount of material (probably just under 3,000 pages each) but the depth of the material was much greater. Also, many of the concepts are probably more foreign to the candidate (not really covered in your basic finance/econ undergrad courses). As a result, more time would probably need to go into the preparation. I thought the item-set format was more difficult than stand-alone questions as well. Due to there only being 120 questions (as opposed to 240), it is more difficult for the CFAI to test the body of knowledge. As a result, major topics seemed to be missed on the exam while the nuances of the obscure topics could kill you if you aren’t completely prepared. As a result, you need to know everything to a greater extent (1 question out of 240 won’t kill you but 6 out of 120 might). All in all, the two really weren’t very comparable.

i think L1 is relatively same difficult as L2. In L1 everything is new, you must make a strong foundation. A lot of new things to learn. In L2, of course it is more detailed, but hey, most of this topics are just add-ons to L1 topics. Plus you have L1 exam experience, managing time etc. So I think these two things offset each other somehow :slight_smile: And… look at the L1 and L2 pass rate…

How difficult is L2 compared to L1 http://www.analystforum.com/phorums/read.php?12,1015512,page=1 This may be funny but it’s true. I have seen both levels.

pass rate alone isn’t a fair indicator. You have to factor in that all the people that take level II already passed level I. a lot of people get weeded out at level I. as a level III candidate I studied about the same for both 1 and 2. I walked out of 1 knowing i’d passed, I walked out of 2 praying I passed. SFR Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > i think L1 is relatively same difficult as L2. > > In L1 everything is new, you must make a strong > foundation. A lot of new things to learn. > > In L2, of course it is more detailed, but hey, > most of this topics are just add-ons to L1 topics. > Plus you have L1 exam experience, managing time > etc. > > So I think these two things offset each other > somehow :slight_smile: And… look at the L1 and L2 pass > rate…

sasankm Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Thanks guys for the responses to my earlier ‘how > to crack L2’ thread. I will pay heed to all u said > and try to stick by a strict regimen of at least > 20hrs a week study schedule from now on. > > Now I have another question which U may find a tad > stupid, but please bear with it anyway. > > My question is why they say that L2 is easier than > L1, how its easy in which perspective? Can someone > answer whether its true and if indeed its (so nice > to hear!) then why and how its so? Many thanks in > advance again. for real???