Just started studying; For Ethics - CFAI or Schweser?

Another installment of the just started studying series… I have very little time, so I am deciding whether it is worth using the CFAI for Ethics or if Schweser is sufficient. I have always heard CFAI was meaningfully better, but Schweser would give me at least another half day to review practice problems. Weighing those choices, what do people who have gone through both sources think? With your help, I can do this…

use Schweser for big picture and time, and if you find gray areas, go CFAI. CFAI a lot more bulky, and detailed…

I say read CFA, it the best for ethics and then do alot of Qbank quest, it helps alot and do CFA q

I actually kind of hope you fail r-man

lets try to be more encouraging, I’m sure we all feel pretty hopeless at times, I know I do. The thought of giving up crosses my mind every 15 minutes (15 mins of studying, 15 min of worrying about everything I have to study, 15 mins of studying…)

I would only bother with schweser if you had a ton of time to study, but it seems like to maximize your time. Aside from being 10%, Ethics is also more important due to the “ethics adjustment.” This is by way of me saying use the CFAI text - if you have a set amount of time, I’d use the materials written by the people who write the exams. It helps to become familiar with the style/“tone” of the CFA text/questions. Plus the 5 case studies are pretty crucial. Best of luck, you got more than enough time if used efficiently.

Honestly I find that even CFAI’s ethics section is too bulky. Last year I read it 3 times with and I actually got progressively worse at ethics. This year, I made some quick notes of schweser’s research & objectivity, soft-dollar and the prudent rule sections. I then just did all the problems in the CFAI books and since then I have been doing very well. On every practice exam and the CFAI sample, I’ve been 5/6 or 6/6. Very strange.

r-man Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > you have a lot of time… one year and 11 > months… for the test where you will have a > meaningful chance of passing :stuck_out_tongue: I guess we will have to wait until scores are released, but you’d better hope you pass because when I do, it will only be that much more embarrassing. :stuck_out_tongue:

CFABLACKBELT Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Honestly I find that even CFAI’s ethics section is > too bulky. Last year I read it 3 times with and > I actually got progressively worse at ethics. > > This year, I made some quick notes of schweser’s > research & objectivity, soft-dollar and the > prudent rule sections. I then just did all the > problems in the CFAI books and since then I have > been doing very well. On every practice exam and > the CFAI sample, I’ve been 5/6 or 6/6. Very > strange. That’s pretty strange. I’ve read Stalla, Schweser, and CFAI Ethics and keep bombing every vignette, with the exception of CFAI Sample 2. I scored 4/6 on that one. Whatever you choose to do, do not ignore the chapters at the end of the CFAI curriculum.