Is everyone doing everything ?

Guys - I am completely overlooking these topics. 1. Pension Accounting (I know only definitions and certain terms) 2. SS17 - Interest Rate derivating etc 3. End sections of quant , Time Series crap. Any thoughts ? I know if I fail it wont be due to all these sections showing up in the exam , it will probably be due to not knowing some of the other stuff. Is everyone really studying everything 100% ?

I’d say definitely don’t miss Pension accounting. It’s a big enough topic to have a whole item set dedicated to the subject, which would be a lot of marks to miss. Whether the other two are I doubt.

I am leaving out all of quant.

I’m studying 100% (not remember anything right now though). My 2 cents: don’t miss out the quant stuff, I think it is pretty straightforward, the questions can’t be tricky, try to read someone else’s note to better summarize it.

IMO your nuts to not dig into pension accounting. Thats pretty much a guaranteed item set.

Basically, you are walking into the exam starting with a 90%. Not smart.

Ya you can basically guarantee an item set on some sort of pension acccounting.

yeah, i would definitely do pension accounting. Out of all the books, know FRA and Equity at the very least.

not to frighten anyone above but this retaker does not recall seeing any pension related questions from '09 but the quant question was brutal. In retrospect, probably could have better handled Quant last year if I did a few EOC questions.

duplicate

im personally leaving econ v much for the end only if i have time. But yah i will definitely do parities. Not risking anything else. But yeah need to review deriv one more time. If i get it good if not wateva!

don’t sleep on Pensions…could be a lurker. If you have the time, make sure to review the other 2 areas as well. Anything is fair game.

ITAdmin- I think you’re probably OK if you’re strong in everything else as long as you give pension account a solid effort. However, I’d suggest that you definitely study EVERYTHING, at least a little. Guessing on the exam is an awful feeling. I tend to find the marginal benefit of studying a section at least a little is very, very, very high early on in your efforts. Later on, it’s harder to learn all the little minutiae etc, etc. But at first, you’ll pick up the overall concepts quickly and hopefully be able to narrow down an answer choice or nail one or two questions out of an item set. Case in point: If you’ve read the first 5 pages of pension accounting, you know the difference between a defined benefit and a defined contribution plan. You could nail a few “definition” questions with that and maybe even eliminate an answer choice on some of the harder questions. But if you haven’t read a thing, you’re condemning yourself to get 2 out of every 3 questions wrong.

Im leaving out the complex equations, BSM, quant tests calcs, full FRA calcs, etc. My boot camp instructor said that CFAI wants you to know how the concepts work, but will not test you on mathematics. I wouldnt mind if they did as I have a pretty solid quant background, but based on the demographic, it appears most people who test for CFA do not so they dont want to discourage new recruits.

I’ve read the CFAI books and done the questions about 10 times already lol. The only thing I haven’t read over yet was a piece of PM, which I’m gonna do this weekend. I think you’re an idiot to not read everything. This isn’t level 1 but to each is own

i admire your guts - i think you might be able to slip by on the derivative piece and the time series - pension is probably worth another look, IMO

@JP_RL_CFA Trying to have a mature conversation with mature people…I would recommend you not act like a moron on a serious thread. Dont matter if you are roting the eoc questions , you are a failure.

I’m a failure? umm ok. Just offering my advice buddy. I’ve taken the exam last yr and failed, u know why? Cause I was trying to game the exam like u instead of reading everything. I tried to take short cuts when u can’t take any with this test. To leave out a whole section of a book is def not advisable. Sorry for indirectly calling u an idiot but I call it as it is. If u don’t wanna listen then that’s ur own prob, don’t ask for advice then.

JP_RL- As you’re a retaker, I personally would definitely listen to what you’ve got to say. But putting things like “You’re an idiot” in your posts isn’t gonna win you any supporters or make your arguments sound well founded. I agree with what you’re saying - that OP needs to review everything - but disagree with how you’re saying it. No need to come out and drop the “YOU: ARE STUPID AND YOUR LIFE: A WASTE” hammer on people. Notice how many people on these boards start their posts with things like, “In my experience…” or “I may be off base here, but…” or “I would look at it this way…”. Even if you disagree with someone 100%, you don’t have to logic-slap them and be flippant to make a point.

i am studying everything…nobody can possibly be an expert on all topics, but if you study everything at least you have a shot walking in.