ebook option for 2011

Here is something good for 2011 candidates. You have an option to select only ebook for a CFA course material. I think it is good to get options. Your thoughts? http://www.cfainstitute.org/cfaprogram/courseofstudy/curriculum/Pages/index.aspx

Is it cheaper?

I believe it says you get $40 off your exam registration. I think I would take advantage of this. I don’t really use books except for when I want to double check something from Schweser anyways.

$40 eh

CFACurse Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I believe it says you get $40 off your exam > registration. > > I think I would take advantage of this. I don’t > really use books except for when I want to double > check something from Schweser anyways. +1. Schweser has always been my primary, I will probably opt for it for this reason.

must select. seldom use CFAI…Schweser is enough for a pass, if mastering most of it, of course.

I think that to have both is the best, because you can review something at work and at the same time read and mark the paper textbooks.

zazu11 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I think that to have both is the best, because you > can review something at work and at the same time > read and mark the paper textbooks. You can highlight and take notes in the ebook also.

I’ve gotta go with the actual books.

If it’s really just a $40 discount then that’s pretty weak…i’d rather have the stuff on my bookshelf and be able to look something up easily at a later date.

I’d take both. The electronic version is definitely worth the $50 added cost (does it still expire after the exam?), but there’s no way I’m going to do all my studies in front of a computer screen. I need a printed copy of the materials when I’m working at home or in the library.

What does this mean? “Additionally, candidates who are also CFA Institute members may order one set of print books and one eBook for each of the three levels of the program (i.e., candidates who are also members can order up to four sets of books).” http://www.cfainstitute.org/cfaprogram/courseofstudy/curriculum/Pages/index.aspx

Robert A Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > What does this mean? > > “Additionally, candidates who are also CFA > Institute members may order one set of print books > and one eBook for each of the three levels of the > program (i.e., candidates who are also members can > order up to four sets of books).” > > http://www.cfainstitute.org/cfaprogram/courseofstu > dy/curriculum/Pages/index.aspx I saw that too. So in addition to your level of books, you can order one copy of I, II, and III.

jcole21 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Robert A Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > What does this mean? > > > > “Additionally, candidates who are also CFA > > Institute members may order one set of print > books > > and one eBook for each of the three levels of > the > > program (i.e., candidates who are also members > can > > order up to four sets of books).” > > > > > http://www.cfainstitute.org/cfaprogram/courseofstu > > > dy/curriculum/Pages/index.aspx > > > I saw that too. So in addition to your level of > books, you can order one copy of I, II, and III. No, they mean CFA members. Candidates are not members. If you are a paid member of CFA institute, then you can order one each for all levels.

jimmykaw Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > jcole21 Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Robert A Wrote: > > > -------------------------------------------------- > > > ----- > > > What does this mean? > > > > > > “Additionally, candidates who are also CFA > > > Institute members may order one set of print > > books > > > and one eBook for each of the three levels of > > the > > > program (i.e., candidates who are also > members > > can > > > order up to four sets of books).” > > > > > > > > > http://www.cfainstitute.org/cfaprogram/courseofstu > > > > > > dy/curriculum/Pages/index.aspx > > > > > > I saw that too. So in addition to your level > of > > books, you can order one copy of I, II, and > III. > > > No, they mean CFA members. Candidates are not > members. If you are a paid member of CFA > institute, then you can order one each for all > levels. Candidates can be members.

I am a CFA member, and about to be a L2 candidate. What benefit is this, since eventually I’m going to have one copy of each set anyway? And what do they mean by “four sets of books” – what’s the fourth set?

Robert A Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I am a CFA member, and about to be a L2 candidate. > What benefit is this, since eventually I’m going > to have one copy of each set anyway? > > And what do they mean by “four sets of books” – > what’s the fourth set? A good question. Not sure what they mean by four sets.

Well, I called CFA and the representative didn’t seem to understand the significance either, since anyone can buy the books – member or not. The fourth set simply refers to the fact that you can buy an additional set for the level you are taking. Perhaps they’re offering a discount to member/candidates, but I think the whole paragraph could be meaningless. I did learn that the ebook now works for five years beyond the exam date. Previously, it expired after the exam. jimmykaw Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > A good question. Not sure what they mean by four > sets.

Robert A Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Well, I called CFA and the representative didn’t > seem to understand the significance either, since > anyone can buy the books – member or not. > > The fourth set simply refers to the fact that you > can buy an additional set for the level you are > taking. > > Perhaps they’re offering a discount to > member/candidates, but I think the whole paragraph > could be meaningless. > > I did learn that the ebook now works for five > years beyond the exam date. Previously, it > expired after the exam. > > jimmykaw Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > > A good question. Not sure what they mean by > four > > sets. Thanks for clarifying buddy. But what i still don’t understand is why would you buy an additional set for the level you are taking? Why do i need two sets for the level 2 which I am planning to take in June 2011? Doesn’t make sense.

…that’s why I think the benefit is really no benefit at all. Moreover, if I’m hoping to take L3 in 2012, why would I want to buy books today that’ll be outdated by the time I might enroll?