70+ on 7/10 Topics and FAILED!!

Wanted to get your input on my results (below). Scored 70+ on 7/10 topics. Must have absolutely bombed FSA. Any chance a retabulation is worth it?.. Band 9 Would love to hear your feedback… ------------------------------------------- Level 2: Fail The table below illustrates your subject matter strengths and weaknesses. The three columns on the right are marked with asterisks to indicate your performance on each question or topic area. Item Set Q# Topic Max Pts <=50% 51%-70% >70% - Alternative Investments 18 * - - - Corporate Finance 36 - - * - Derivatives 36 - - * - Economics 18 - - * - Equity Investments 72 - - * - Ethical & Professional Standards 36 - * - - Financial Reporting & Analysis 72 * - - - Fixed Income Investments 36 - - * - Portfolio Management 18 - - * - Quantitative Methods 18 - - *

It might be borderline, but you did not pass ethics, which is the first filter for borderline cases

bro, you bombed FSA and got middle tier ethics, dont mess with the big 3 kid

wake2000 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > bro, you bombed FSA and got middle tier ethics, > dont mess with the big 3 kid That’s how it looks to me, maybe you did really poorly, like missed almost all of FRA, kinda blew your whole wad of misses on that section and were just barely 70 on some of the 70+ sections… That’s tough man, , but at least next year, all you have to do is really focus on that section and pick up ethics a little…looks like you got the rest cold…

If it was a Band 10 I’d do it but not for a Band 9. You must have really really bombed FSA

Valores Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > It might be borderline, but you did not pass > ethics, which is the first filter for borderline > cases There are others who got < 50 in Ethics and passed, so that’s not the reason. Something happened with FSA and you got a very low score there. It is possible CFAI has a minimum score for FSA (and one or two other ones), where if you score less than say 20%, you fail the entire exam.

Note that you might just have 70+ like 71% and not more which will decrease your average a d be below the mps…

Dreary, I was talking about borderline cases, the others surely passed automatically. Borderline cases, close to automatic pass would never pass with Ethics below 70%. My friend is Band 10, and he’s got Ethics above 70%, he was bombed on the next level of filtering, which is a sample of questions that are regarded by CFAI a must to pass. Those who borderline cases, who pass first Ethics, and then answer all the “must” questions, pass.

people who think Ethics is used as a filter are completely wrong - that is a big myth

mcap11, if you check the grading system, you’ll see that for “just-competent” candidates, or borderline cases, those who did not pass automatically, the exam is reviewed question by question. Some questions are “musts”, that’s the way they filter candidates. I talked to one of the graders, he said Ethics is absolutely a “must” to pass and it’s the first filter. However it’s not a must if you pass automatically above some score.

It all boils down to (# of Questions Right/# Total Questions)> MPS. The CFAI has never given clear guidance surrounding the Ethics adjustment for those candidates who have borderline scores. I’d imagine it would be a maximum of 2 questions given in your favor if you dominated Ethics.

Dear cfa2candidate1234, If we compare your score, band 9 fail, with following passes, it is pretty evident you must have done very very poorly on FSA. Was this expected? Was FSA your weak spot? Best… Level II: Pass The table below illustrates your subject matter strengths and weaknesses. The three columns on the right are marked with asterisks to indicate your performance on each question or topic area. Item Set Q# Topic Max Pts <=50% 51%-70% >70% - Alternative Investments 18 * - - - Corporate Finance 36 - - * - Derivatives 36 - - * - Economics 18 - * - - Equity Investments 72 - * - - Ethical & Professional Standards 36 - * - - Financial Reporting & Analysis 72 - * - - Fixed Income Investments 36 - * - - Portfolio Management 18 - * - - Quantitative Methods 18 - - * Level II: Pass The table below illustrates your subject matter strengths and weaknesses. The three columns on the right are marked with asterisks to indicate your performance on each question or topic area. Item SetQ#TopicMax Pts<=50%51%-70%>70% -Alternative Investments18-*- -Corporate Finance36–* -Derivatives36–* -Economics18-*- -Equity Investments72-*- -Ethical & Professional Standards36-*- -Financial Reporting & Analysis72-*- -Fixed Income Investments36–* -Portfolio Management18*-- -Quantitative Methods18*–

Thanks all for the feedback. nesijmahir - totally agree w/ you. Either my 70+ scores were just barely into the 70+ range and/or my FSA bomb was a TOTAL BOMB (probably talking about < 30%!) I’ve always had difficulty w/ FSA, as I’m sure most of us do, but never to this extent. I recall one item set totally tripping me up, and I wouldn’t be surprised if I scored 0/6 on it. I prepared agressively and thoroughly – I think this is a case of (a) mere exam difficulty (b) bad luck in terms of content / context and its alignment w/ my testing abilities © poor handling of my nerves on exam day. All 3 are my fault for not handling well, but it’s very frustrating. I should take comfort in the fact that I did well on all other topics and take that into my 2nd attempt studies, but I guess I’m a pessimist by nature and am already terrified of re-sitting. Thanks for the support.

If your FSA was mid 50-70 you would have passed. very simple. failing one of the big 2 equities or fsa is devastating

cfa2candidate1234 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Thanks all for the feedback. > > nesijmahir - totally agree w/ you. Either my 70+ > scores were just barely into the 70+ range and/or > my FSA bomb was a TOTAL BOMB (probably talking > about < 30%!) > > I’ve always had difficulty w/ FSA, as I’m sure > most of us do, but never to this extent. I recall > one item set totally tripping me up, and I > wouldn’t be surprised if I scored 0/6 on it. I > prepared agressively and thoroughly – I think > this is a case of (a) mere exam difficulty (b) bad > luck in terms of content / context and its > alignment w/ my testing abilities © poor > handling of my nerves on exam day. All 3 are my > fault for not handling well, but it’s very > frustrating. > > I should take comfort in the fact that I did well > on all other topics and take that into my 2nd > attempt studies, but I guess I’m a pessimist by > nature and am already terrified of re-sitting. > > Thanks for the support. FSA should be easy. Just like you buy/sell things in real life, you would have gain or loss. Read the books carefully and you’ll pass. BTW, my score is…a pass with 3 items<50 Alternative Investments 18 * - - Corporate Finance 36 - - * Derivatives 36 - - * Economics 18 - * - Equity Investments 72 - * - Ethical & Professional Standards 36 * - - Financial Reporting & Analysis 72 - - * Fixed Income Investments 36 - - * Portfolio Management 18 * - - Quantitative Methods 18 - - *

cfa2candidate1234 how many hours did you spend preparing in total?

~400

Remember me? Sat for L2 again this year, and received another heartbreaking Band 9. This time it was not nearly as pretty (see first post above for my 2010 results). Managed to pick up my FSA scores, but dropped off a cliff with Equity (which was always a strong area). Any advice? Can’t fathom going through another year of this… On a positive note, I managed to land a gig in Equity Research a few months ago. This is heartbreaking… Q# Topic Max Pts <=50% 51%-70% >70% Alternative Investments 18 - * - Corporate Finance 36 - * - Derivatives 36 * - - Economics 18 * - - Equity Investments 72 * - - Ethical & Professional Standards 36 - - * Financial Reporting & Analysis 72 - - * Fixed Income Investments 36 - * - Portfolio Management 18 - - * Quantitative Methods 18 * - -

Hey man i feel your pain i failed band 10 as well … i want go for retab but somehow i think its waste of money:(

That’s tough, mate. derivatives, EQ, quant all below 50. I think you need to polish up your quantitative skills.