whoz just starting to study?

I am thinking of starting studying soon now. Yesterday I tried making a study schedule and got pretty freaked out! So, who are just starting to study? PS: I am a repeat Candidate.

I just started this past weekend as well. Don’t freak yourself out, you’ve got plenty of time. 7 months? More than enough.

I just started studying. I read through the L1 refresher last week. Schweser books should arrive in the mail today. I’m going to start on them tomorrow and slowly get into the studying mood again. I am hoping to get Ethics/Quant/Econ and some FRA done by the end of 2010. m

Me too, I had planned to start earlier but it didn’t work out that way.

I wish to start now. May be tomorrow

Which topic will be your first choice? I’ve used the Schweser study planner to “generate” a study schedule.

I just started yesterday (with quant). Got through the first reading; correlation & single factor regression. I hope the multi factor stuff merely adds more independent vars and the premise is the same. In lvl 1 everything was part of my daily vocab. It’s a pain just learning new terms that I’m not used to dealing with: SST, MSR, SEE, RSS & etc. Hopefully it all just clicks once I read everything and really start doing Q’s

I am a L2 re-taker and just started (yesterday) with FRA. You know, FIFO and LIFO is back in June’11 L2.

i just finished R11 quant, what did u think systematic? and are u reading from schweser or CFAI?

join the google group if u guys want to keep each other updated and motivaeted this is a huge group although little inactive now: cfa-email-study-group@googlegroups.com this is my group, hopefully it will get active once u guys jump in: Jan09cfaL1@ googlegroups.com

I’m using Schweser- I feel like you really need to spend 30+ minutues per page to have the material sink in. Just reading it once over, writing down the key points and doing the examples isnt enough, where as in lvl 1 it prollt was. I do have to admit that I am guility of doing all of this a few years ago in college: at least all of the ANOVA table stuff. A lot of what I do at work is based on multi factor regressions; but I merely have to be able to interpret the t-stat and R^2… I dont actually have to solve for any of it sungirl27 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > i just finished R11 quant, what did u think > systematic? and are u reading from schweser or > CFAI?

Systematic, how much does your kind of job pay?

pawn Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Systematic, how much does your kind of job pay? I dont make that much; $60k/year. I’m actually more of a trader, I work for an Investment Advisor w/ $1.2 billion in assets. There is one other person here that does my job too, he’s my boss (ivy league BA + CFA). I’m only 2 years out of school. If I was doing regression analysis all day long and the results impacted investment strategy I’d be worth a lot more. But I really only do that stuff when prospects think they have some alpha in a portfolio and the regression is used to show that the returns are merely results of the risk factors in the Fama/French 3 factor model. The regression’s independant variables are based on beta, Market Cap & BtM ratio- and done through software programs Occansionally I’ll use excel and the anova table, I did this for Dividend yields as a predictor of market returns and for batting averages for baseball players (cuz I was bored)

Thanks Systematic for the part about 30+min a page. I feel better now becuz its taking me way too long

Sumz: Is Jan09cfaL1@ googlegroups.com only a Level 1 google study group?

started last monday…but not progressing anywhere :frowning: fell sick then somethings cropped up

jessCFA Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Sumz: > > Is Jan09cfaL1@ googlegroups.com only a Level 1 > google study group? No. I created this when I was doing L1. but now it doesn’t matter regardless of any level.

sumz Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > jessCFA Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Sumz: > > > > Is Jan09cfaL1@ googlegroups.com only a Level 1 > > google study group? > > > No. I created this when I was doing L1. but now it > doesn’t matter regardless of any level. can you create one just for L2 2011? it’s easier to refer to this way… :wink:

Yep, it’ll be easier if you create one just for L2. I was in the group for L1 and it was a good addition to AF.

Hey guys, I too started studying a couple of weeks back with Equity, done with two SS now. I am a level-2 retaker having sat for level-2 in June 2009, took a break in 2010 and now back to some serious studies after making up mind to do level-2 in June 2011. Failed level-2 with a grading of 10 (closest to the pass mark which was dissappointing big time :frowning: ), after scoring >70 for 5 areas including FSA last time :(. Derivatives<50 and the rest within 50-70. Equity and FSA are the bread and butter of level-2. If you can score >70 for these two areas you are almost thorough (and to score decently for the rest…but dnt fail ETHICS!!!. That’s what I heard from my friends who got thru level-2. Almost all off them scored >70 for these two areas. All I got to say is…happy studying and hope to actively contribute to this forum. My approach to CFA studies is…using Schweser, but doing chapter end reviews from the CFA text. But…for derivatives…advising everyone to go through the CFA text coz Schweser is too simple and doesn’t give you the logic v well. For you to understand the logic of derivatives - CFA text is defntly the best. I have reserved 2 hours of studies every morning from 4-6am during the weekdays (I am a morning person, and I work around the clock - v long hours at times, I work for an investment research org and I work as a financial analyst into equity research for a buy side client. So morning works best for me) and do about 8 hours during the weekend. Hoping to get the schweser Q-bank CD and do some questions too. My plan is to finish off the 1st cut in early march and then to keep on revising and practising questions until the exam day. Questions is a must!!!