Master in finance , which university ?

Hello everyone, I 've passed CFA level 1. My intention is studying for level 2 2013 and apply for a master in finance program next year. I’m 23 now, and working for an auditor company? I found some universities based on financial times ranking and CFA partner universities. But the ranking confused me? I prefer those in Australia, Europe and America. England was too expensive to me and I don’t want to take GMAT too, costing too much time. Any ideas? Thank for any help :slight_smile:

Canada has one as well. The Rotman school of business in Toronto

I passed the CFA L1 and I’m preparing for L2. I too was initially confused with the rankings but settled finally after a lot of research. I’ve secured admission at IE Business School for the MIF program 2013. It’s one of the best B-schools.

Thank you guy, but do you think studying in IE approriate. The program was short ( 12-13 months) and Spain was in debt crisis now. Not many jobs after you graduated. Could u give me some details? Thank

How is the US on your list if you dont want to study for the GMAT? if you are expecting to go to a high rated business school in the US , you need the GMAT and a good score!

In the US the GMAT is a must - so you will need to take it, and soon… if you want to apply for 2013-2014 school year.

IE… I know many who have been there for their MBA, and although it has great reputation, Spain is in crisis and job prospects are not great, and if you look for a job in the US, a foreign degree is not as highly regarded as a US one… So you must also consider where you’d like to work later.

Thank you guy all :slight_smile:

Are you going for an MBA or just a Masters degree?

Master degree. I only have 1 year experience, so MBA seems unnecessary

I have seen a lot of graduates from IE getting placed in foreign nations. In fact, according to the stats, more than 80% of hte students are placed at foreign nations, hence donot presume that the job opportunities are confined to spain. IE is the second best rated university for Master in Finance after HEC Paris. IE is also rated good for their MBA programs (No. 6 if im not wrong). I dont praise IE because I’m it’s prospective student. IE is well positioned among the global school and definitely one of the best places to study. Bear in mind that employability greatly depends upon the student capacity, regardless of the place where you study.

Many universities are now waiving off GMAT if the student has passed even CFA Level 1. Practically, GMAT is no way even near to CFA in terms of difficulty and the skill set you acquire afterwards. UCAL is considering the waive off and Illinois Inst. Stuart Business school offers the waiver. I’ve also taken GMAT and scored 700. CFA level 1 was weighed more on my profile than GMAT. The criteria you mentioned might apply for MBA programs.

+1

Thats not true. Where did you get these facts?

If I were you, I would accumulate more work experience and then try to go to a top B-school for an MBA in Finance. I think your money would be better spent going that route. Just my two cents.

Could you explain more? I wanna study and work abroad go get more knowledge and experience. My country doesnt have a developed financial market. Knowledge I study in CFA does not contribute much in my work and my background was not finance, either. I wanna to study master in finance to get a deep understanding and to have real working experience.

you can work with foreign markets from your country.

False. I am a charterholder struggling to break 600 on the GMAT.

I guess in your case, a Masters in Finance would serve you well. If you were in the US, I think it would be different.

bp,

I hated the GMAT. It’s all high school math. Good luck man.

You can read all-day long about these “Facts” in QS and Bloomberg Business Week.

It varies upon indvidual capacity. Jus’ because a chaterholder finds GMAT difficult doesn’t mean that GMAT is tougher than CFA. The scope of GMAT testing is very obscure and the tests are designed to assess loose skills of a person. The CFA CBOK is more than sufficient to excel in the investment industry. You’re comparing High - school math and verbal with “CFA”.