How would you change your study methods if you had to take L2 again?

Go back to when you first started studying for L2. With your knowlege now of how the test is structured, how would your study habits change?

For me personally, I did all the CFAI EOC problems repeatedly and found that that prepared me pretty well for the exam. I also have a huge whiteboard in my room that I put every single formula on under its respective section (See link attached) which I felt was ESSENTIAL in helping me remember all the important formulas. I wish I would have paid more attention to some Portfolio Management topics but overall, I felt like the EOC and my formula repetition prepared me pretty well.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10100496216235619&set=pb.13806453.-2207520000.1402286451.&type=3&theater

Your guys thoughts on how you would change your study habits if you had to do it all over again? (hopefully none of us have to)

I only started studying in March since I didn’t get my Dec Level 1 pass results until late January.

So I didn’t have much time to study, but I wish I would have learned the formulas sooner, not the week before the exam.

I would have read every SINGLE word in CFAI text including the names of authors and the glossary.

If I don’t pass this time, I will definitely focus more on the official curriculum books, in-chapter questions, and CFA EOC questions.

Same as haji

I wish I hadn’t relied COMPLETELY on schweser. I would supplement with it, as in read the CFAI curriculum first. Then to review, do the schweser notes.

Failed L2 2x, so this time around I read CFAI books and took hand-written notes and kept a notebook of the EOC problems. This seemed to help slow me down and absorb the material better. Still don’t know if it was enough though, because didn’t have time to do any mocks. I like the whiteboard idea, think I’ll do that next time for L2/L3 whichever. We’ll see.

I would jump into practice tests at least 2 months before. This time I had 2.5 weeks. Felt really rushed.

I would not try to guess what sections would be tested and read every damn thing

Yeah, they pulled some obscure shit on this one.

I am second timer. I believe I did better this time. My last band was 8, but you never know! God forbid if I fail this time, I re-read whoe CFAI curriculum, which I already did 2x and try to get hold of my weakest topics, through tuition or by other means; complete my study a month before, and do mocks and EOC as much as possible; leave last two weeks for final revision.

just outta curiosity how did u feel after giving the exam last year when u were band 8? were u sure of failing or felt ur on the pass/fail boundary?

I think that this june exam is the best prove that there is no justified reason to use other resources than CFAI materials.

That whiteboard is boss!

I think i passed 98%.

If i fail (2%),then there is 99% chance that i will quit CFAI designation.

I would start straightaway with practice exams if I have to retake and also take a week to go on holiday or have a break a couple weeks before the exam since I was pretty burned out by exam day.

I was a band 9 fail last year and my excuse was having to work too much before the exam and travel the week I planned to take study leave. This year I started earlier, assumed I would have to work a lot just before the exam and made sure to do every CFAI question. I felt much better after the exam this year versus last year. If I fail, I’ll hope nobody remembers I was ever enrolled in this program and not go for a 3rd attempt.

I would have spent the extra 10-15 hours addressing the handful of questions that hit my ‘weak’ spots.

My strat this year was:

Step 1: Read the entire schweser material and write down key areas in a notebook

Step 2: Do every EOC question from schweser

Step 3: Read CFAI materials (briskly)

Step 4: do every EOC question from CFAI

Step 5: Flash cards, re-read hand written notes (I did this step maybe 40 times?)

Step 6: Take mocks from CFAI and schweser

Step 7: Redo EOC question from CFAI

Step 8: Redo Mocks from CFAI

I used CFAI carriculum predominatly but I feel like I did too much of passive studying. I think I would jump into solving EOC and mocks much earlier during the preparation and redo them multiple times.

I did a 21 day cram. 15 hours a day. If I fail I’ll spread it out moreso. I just passed level 1 in december and got the results in jan 27th. Made a mistake by listening to people saying you cant complete level 2 or near impossible to pass if you have to start february to study(after CFA I level results).

I lost a bit of motivation to study after hearing that from numerous people. I think I still have a very good chance to pass but I went with schweser videos for some sections due to time constraints and they missed a couple complete sections that showed up on the exam.

Regardless, those three weeks were huge for even preparing for next year. I will start practive exams 2 months prior.

I think i made a ton of ground and marks on people who ignored economics and quant. Heard that here so many times. It’s only 5%, I’m not even going to bother. Even if the sections are 5% thats 12 easy questions if you know them. And remember 5% in the minimum that can show up. I bet you every year both those sections add up to 15%.

That would be my advice for many other cfa exam takers. Dont skip those sections. I actually got perfect on both of them on the exam.

Nothing, 2/2 ma niggas