Sign up  |  Log in

New Wiley/Elan Guides

Has anybody brought the new Elan (or Wiley now) guide for the Level 2 2015 Exam? If so, what do you guys think of it ? I don’t see they mentioning the Eleventh Hour Guide with it, and so was wondering if the guide also comes with the package ?

Thanks,

For all your help, hv a good weekend.

 

Master the Level II curriculum by creating custom quizzes in the SchweserPro™ QBank. Question difficulty automatically adapts to your ability level on a given topic, measuring your knowledge and keeping you motivated. Included in every Schweser Study Package.

Are they available to order already?

I still get the “will be available for purchase here starting in the last week of August” message on the Wiley CFA 2015 page. Which is disappointing, given that it’s Friday afternoon (in Europe) of said week.

http://www.efficientlearning.com/wiley-cfa/products/level-2/. This is the link I visited, and it looks like its avilable to order now

From what the company says, the only that changed is the name. I used them for level 1 and hope it truly is the same. Does it tell you if Peter Olinto is still doing the videos for them?

pandeyanop wrote:

http://www.efficientlearning.com/wiley-cfa/products/level-2/. This is the link I visited, and it looks like its avilable to order now

Hi pandeyanop, thanks for the info. I am still waiting if there’s any information about discount code can be applied.

Thanks

"Let's kill him properly this time" (Thor - Endgame)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5I6235vlok

FRM Holder - 2012
Passed CFA Level III - 2019

I just bought it…It’s incomplete..They only have the electronic versions available.  Alot of it is missing and we be only available December 2014.  As for the practice problems they wont’ be available until Feb 2014.  This year Elan had a bad reputation on giving stuff out late…but I love their videos so much.  Yes Peter Olinto and the other guy are back and they do the video lectures.

On a good note.  I told them I was a returning customer and they gave me a 40 percent discount.  

I'll get knocked down but I'll come right back up.

Oh yah and they use the horrible Vita source bookshelf..for their electronic textbooks now which is horrible. 

I'll get knocked down but I'll come right back up.

Ah h**l, they are using Vital source too ? Are the videos at least complete ?

pandeyanop wrote:

Ah h**l, they are using Vital source too ? Are the videos at least complete ?

Looks like this year schweser also use vital source :D

The video still not complete…

"Let's kill him properly this time" (Thor - Endgame)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5I6235vlok

FRM Holder - 2012
Passed CFA Level III - 2019

jlion1786 wrote:

I just bought it…It’s incomplete..They only have the electronic versions available.

To be clear, are you saying that Wiley/Elan has already posted one or more of the five e-books? If so how many?

Also, have they posted videos for some of the 56 readings? If so, how many?

 

Readings with Lectures releasing December 2014

Reading 1: Code of Ethics and Standards of Professional Conduct
Reading 35: Market-Based Valuation: Price and Enterprise Value Multiples

Reading 2: Guidance for Standards I-VII
Reading 36: Residual Income Valuation

Reading 20: Evaluating Quality of Financial Reports
Reading 37: Private Company Valuation

Reading 25: Corporate Performance Governance and Business Ethics
Reading 42: The Term Structure and Interest Rate Dynamics

Reading 28: Equity Valuation: Applications and Processes
Reading 43: Arbitrage-Free Valuation Framework

Reading 29: Return Concepts
Reading 44: Valuation and Analysis: Bonds with Embedded Options

Reading 33: Discounted Dividend Valuation
Reading 46: Introduction to Asset-Backed Securities

Reading 34: Free Cash Flow Valuation
 

Readings with No Video Lecture:

Reading 4: The Glenarm Company
Reading 7: Trade Allocation: Fair Dealing and Disclosure

Reading 5: Preston Partners
Reading 14: Economics of Regulation

Reading 6: Super Selection
Reading 31: Your Strategy Needs a Strategy

I'll get knocked down but I'll come right back up.

jlion1786 wrote:
Readings with Lectures releasing December 2014

Reading 1: Code of Ethics and Standards of Professional Conduct


Hmm, confusing answer.
.
Here’s what I want to know:
.
1) For how many of the 56 L2 CFAI readings has Elan posted their version of the readings as of today? Zero? 56? Some number in-between?
.
2) For how many of the 56 L2 readings has Elan posted their video as of today? Zero? 56? Some number in-between?

L2_Again wrote:
Hmm, confusing answer. . Here’s what I want to know: .

1) For how many of the 56 L2 CFAI readings has Elan posted their version of the readings as of today? Zero? 56? Some number in-between? 

2) For how many of the 56 L2 readings has Elan posted their video as of today? Zero? 56? Some number in-between?

actually jlion1786 has already answered it.

1. All 56 readings available on vital source now.

2. Videos available as of today 56-15-6 = 35

Videos will be available as of Dec 2014 = 35 + 15 = 50

"Let's kill him properly this time" (Thor - Endgame)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5I6235vlok

FRM Holder - 2012
Passed CFA Level III - 2019

How do they stream their videos?

Youtube?

My ass has got to be saved ;)

Funniest thread ever!
http://www.analystforum.com/forums/cfa-forums/cfa-level-iii-forum/91323241

What do you need to do to get the 40% discount as a returning customer?

tikfed wrote:

What do you need to do to get the 40% discount as a returning customer?

Just input discount code : CFA-RETAKE

Abrakadabra…

"Let's kill him properly this time" (Thor - Endgame)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5I6235vlok

FRM Holder - 2012
Passed CFA Level III - 2019

@Jounin83. Thumbs-up mate.

Information is truly power… That worked like black magic! Hahahahaa.

Thanks Thanks.Thanks.

The future is NOW!

Could someone please help out on this: On how many devices can one download the Wiley Materials?

Thanks in anticipation of your responses.

Regards.

The future is NOW!

Brainy wrote:

Could someone please help out on this: On how many devices can one download the Wiley Materials?

Thanks in anticipation of your responses.

Regards.

Based on Wiley website : 

2 mobile devices &

2 PC’s

"Let's kill him properly this time" (Thor - Endgame)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5I6235vlok

FRM Holder - 2012
Passed CFA Level III - 2019

Anyone tried printing these books from vital source? I get an error and the program will shut down, or if it lets me get to the print screen it says I am restricted to printing 2 pages at once which is a huge pain in the ass. Anyone else having this?

Looks like the next best option is you can copy the text into Word and print from there but you lose some of the formatting.

Thanks Jounin. I appreciate.

The future is NOW!

Are the practice problems not available in any format until Feb 2014? or are  problems available in electronic format now? please clarify on this…

This would be a major inconveniance to wait till Feb to start answering questions

da_mad_tiki wrote:

Are the practice problems not available in any format until Feb 2014? or are  problems available in electronic format now? please clarify on this…

This would be a major inconveniance to wait till Feb to start answering questions

Most of the practice questions are there, only sections that are “new” (like Fixed Income) don’t have practice questions until February. Basically the same areas that don’t have readings yet don’t have practice problems, but probably 80% of the cirriculum is there

BobbyBraveheart wrote:

Most of the practice questions are there, only sections that are “new” (like Fixed Income) don’t have practice questions until February. Basically the same areas that don’t have readings yet don’t have practice problems, but probably 80% of the cirriculum is there

jounin83 wrote:

1. All 56 readings available on vital source now.

2. Videos available as of today 56-15-6 = 35

Videos will be available as of Dec 2014 = 35 + 15 = 50

Confusion.

So if all 56 readings are available via vitalsource today shouldn’t all practice problems be available as well?

da_mad_tiki wrote:

Confusion.

So if all 56 readings are available via vitalsource today shouldn’t all practice problems be available as well?

Not all the readings are available right now (you can click on the ones that are missing but it just says “available December 2014”). Here are the readings NOT available (I am typing this as I go through the book in vitalsource): 1, 2, 20, 25, 28, 29, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 42, 43, 44, 46

I spoke too soon with regards to the practice questions, there are more practice questions missing than the above readings but not much more. You could still work on half the cirriculum now and then start on the rest when they update later.

I question how fast they will ship printed books to people if the digital version of the readings are only ready in December. And their videos seem to follow their study book readings although I have only briefly watched one but it seems like you would want to follow the videos with the printed text in front of you to make notes. My only complaint is they’ve made printing the books out of vitalsource a real pain in the ass.

thanks Bobby Braveheart - looks like I’m going to go with Schweser this year. Don’t want to have to track down missing readings and practice questions with their shoddy customer support and printing schedules. maybe i’m thinking too much into the elan vs schweser debate

Thank-you everyone for the information. I used Elan last year and did like the books, however I was unable to write the exam and so I am retaking LII this year. I was not sure if I would use them again this year as I was pretty unhappy with the shipping schedule and their horible website (the wiley site does seem much better). I was on the fence, but based on the feedback here, I think I will stick to the CFAI books and buy some sort of question bank instead.

I have the Elan from last year (2014 exam) and Scheweizer for the 2013 exam [Band 10 fail, :-( ], if I need a topic explained differently I have many books available :-p (except for the new/changed topics, but that is not a majority).

Good luck to everyone !

da_mad_tiki wrote:

thanks Bobby Braveheart - looks like I’m going to go with Schweser this year. Don’t want to have to track down missing readings and practice questions with their shoddy customer support and printing schedules. maybe i’m thinking too much into the elan vs schweser debate

I had schweser last year (band 8 fail) and I thought their materials were pretty good except some sections they don’t cover in enough detail. Their weekly video class was good for someone like me who passed L1 in december and only started studying in february so it helped provide me a study framework, however if you’re starting to study now (as you should) then those weekly video classes would be somewhat useless as they only cover the main topics which you should already know by then if you want to pass. Their three day final video review was also somewhat useless in my opinion. I thought schwesers best product was the video library that covers every LOS, I got alot out of that.

Elans videos look to be pretty in depth at 110 hours of video it is nearly 3 times the schweser video length. I look forward to seeing what the Elan products have to offer but in the end you need to make sure you can do every blue box and EOC from the CFAI books blindfolded if you want to pass. The prep providers should only be used as support in learning the material but I wouldn’t trust them when it comes to practicing.

BobbyBraveheart wrote:

da_mad_tiki wrote:

thanks Bobby Braveheart - looks like I’m going to go with Schweser this year. Don’t want to have to track down missing readings and practice questions with their shoddy customer support and printing schedules. maybe i’m thinking too much into the elan vs schweser debate

I had schweser last year (band 8 fail) and I thought their materials were pretty good except some sections they don’t cover in enough detail. Their weekly video class was good for someone like me who passed L1 in december and only started studying in february so it helped provide me a study framework, however if you’re starting to study now (as you should) then those weekly video classes would be somewhat useless as they only cover the main topics which you should already know by then if you want to pass. Their three day final video review was also somewhat useless in my opinion. I thought schwesers best product was the video library that covers every LOS, I got alot out of that.

Elans videos look to be pretty in depth at 110 hours of video it is nearly 3 times the schweser video length. I look forward to seeing what the Elan products have to offer but in the end you need to make sure you can do every blue box and EOC from the CFAI books blindfolded if you want to pass. The prep providers should only be used as support in learning the material but I wouldn’t trust them when it comes to practicing.

I wasn’t even planning on relying on the videos as I learn the most from reading and practicing, so for me it’s either kaplan’s guides with q-bank or elan guides notes (with videos if needed) and their practice problems. Elan seems a tad better but I don’t know if it’s worth risking my studies on their untimeliness of materials as proven in the past. I do all EOC questions and with L1 felt like I needed more topic based practice questions (passed L1 without Q-bank)

A little bit annoyed with Elan. No Print text available. Even worse, you can only print 2 pages at a time from the Ebook. Customer service also sucks. Most of the answers I got from them were literally “Don’t Know”