"Ethics" - designations must always be used as adjectives, never as nouns

This is far and away what I consider to be the stupidest part of this whole curriculum.

From Ethics, Reading #2, Standard VII, blah, blah, blah

Incorrect: He is a Chartered Financial Analyst.

Principle: The CFA and Chartered Financial Analyst designations must always be used as adjectives, never as nouns or common names.

Chartered: adjective.

Financial: adjective.

Analyst: NOUN.

I will learn this “rule” for the exam, but for the rest of my life CFA is a freaking noun. In fact, I want to change to change my name on AF to Crazy Bear CFA. But I won’t because I don’t know how/don’t want to answer to the disciplinary committee regarding my unethical actions :confused:

Ten years ago, when I started teaching CFA exam review courses, I had the same thought.

Unlike you, I didn’t merely complain about it on an internet forum; I phoned CFA Institute and asked them why.

The answer, as it turns out, has nothing to do with Ethics. It has everything to do with copyright.

If people use CFA as a noun, there’s a risk that it will become a generic term, and that, as a consequence, CFA Institute will lose their copyright.

Simple as that.

Quite interesting, never mind it was all about copyright. This remember me the case some years ago where Amazon dot com wanted to patent its name and in effect claiming that the use of the word “amazon” wouldn’t be allowed by other things or companies. However, in south america there is a big jungle called The Amazon since 4 or 5 centuries ago… Those idiots wanted to ban the Amazon Jungle’s name, I don’t know whether to laugh or get angry :slight_smile:

Interesting…didn’t know that.

All of _ my _ candidates do.

wink