How do we actually determine the t critical values?

I see questions in Wiley with no information given about the tables.

How would we use the same technique to determine the t-critical values?

If there is no table provided, there would be an issue.

Does anyone know how to overcome this?

go to the glossary on your CFAI Quant methods textbook.

the T-Tables as well as the normal dist tables are provided there.

Learn to use them

in the exam they could provide you with a snippet of the table - and you need to be able to get the right numbers.

There are common used critical values.

For 95% confidence (5% alpha) the T critical value is 2 for example (assuming a big sample), the Z critical is 1.96, practically the same. For F critical it can vary due sample size and alpha.

Also look for p-values in the vignette, they tell you if the slope is statistically significant or not (replacing the above analysis), don’t pass them through.

A lot if not all of the Wiley examples use 95% confidence, and after explaining how the critical t-value was determined in early examples, the author (Basit) simply assumes you read that already and know that we’re looking for a test result above or below 2.

As stated above, on the exam, they will have to give you a section of a table, or specifically state the critical value in the vignette.

This is what bothers me.

The values change based on the d.o.f

So i am hoping that they provide it.

Critical values will be provided, however a little exerpt of the whole table. There is your knowledge to correctly choose the relevant one.

you need to know if it is a two tailed test or one tailed test. Using the charts in the back of the book you will have to know if you use the significance level given for a one tailed test or significance level/2 for the two tail test. You also need to know the DF. If the DF is not in the table on the test they will provide the t-critical I would imagine. Otherwise they will need to keep the DF so that it is in the table provided…

All critical values (T-table, F-Table, Chi Square, DW, etc) you may find at the end of any material, official or those of third parties. Also you may find them everywhere over Internet. Print and paste them on the wall and use for any question where required. I put mine into OneNote, whenever I practice Quants have them on another monitor. However, on exam it should be clearly presented in questions, I am quite sure about it.