How to improve Ethics knowledge - TIPS

Hey Guys,

I really get confused on how to score well and conceptual create a basis on what is right or wrong. Sometimes, the options are too close and its very difficult to choose. Any suggestions from now, how can i improve my score in the next week.

I recently came to the conclusion that you are better off remembering ethics as a set of protocols than actually understanding them, i.e. remember each standard as a solid framework and anything outside the model is a violation. So you can ideally create a model using programming syntax, for example, regarding ROS, IF THEN , OTHERWISE . This kind of thinking.

The absence of such a framework is what causes us to wonder in uncertainty because all 3 choices seem plausible, whereas the protocol clearly has an answer.

While CFAI examination of Ethics on L1 made sense and I improved my knowledge of Ethical codes and princilples, this Ethics examination of L2 seems like overkill. The playing with words and situations and guessing answers like on some TV game show.

For pure conceptual stuff like this, I think it helps to absorb through multiple media:

• Use videos (youtube, 3rd party restricted) as audio lessons. Play through car speaker on way to work. Listen several times till you can recite parts.
  • Re-write every explanation in Topic Tests in own words / try to explain it to your grandmother (or pretend to)
  • Flash cards of the above.
  • Read the original ROS text slowly; try to find things you didn’t notice before.
  • Drill Topic Test and mock exam Q’s to perfection.
  • Track what concepts or standards come up the most and you often get wrong. Use icons, arrows etc. in PowerPoint to make a little model of what the standard is saying. Use the opposite of legalistic language – use riskee or extreme language / concepts to create memorable mental models. E.g., ROS requires that, if Apple wanted to be compliance, their 7 currency traders have to report personal transactions to the firm. All 115,000 employees do not. E.g., Standard VII(A) – the CFAI will not feed your limbs to tigers if you publicly disagree with them.

a very to the point question, i’ve been solving mocks and so and i’ve been persistently getting between (16% yo 33%) and sometimes i scored zero. if any one encountered this before please tell us.

English being a 2nd or 3rd language for some of you could be an issue I’d imagine. Sometimes there is subtle wording in a vignette that leads towards the correct answer. Questions written by study providers could be an issue as well. I’ve found Schwser’s Ethics vignettes in their practice exam volumes to be a bit ambigious at times, and I’ve been scoring at least 5% lower in Ethics on their tests than I do with CFAI written vignettes (I’m usually 5 of 6 in Ethics on average). From my experience, the CFAI tends to write their cases more clearly.

In the end, I’ve found that answering Ethics test questions to be more art than science. Good luck!

As a non-native speaker I have a question regarding the meaning of “should” in the standards. The meanings of “must” or “must not” are straight-forward: Some actions are obligatory, some are forbidden. But how is the word “should” to be interpreted? Does it mean, members “can” or “must” follow that “recommendation”?

E.g.: “Along with understanding and following existing and newly developing rules and regulations regarding the allowed use of social media, members and candidates should also ensure that all communications in this format adhere to the requirements of the Code and Standards.”. Does this statement mean “I must…” or does it mean "I can but I am not obligated to ensure that all communications… "?

Additionally, what if the word “should” is used in “Recommended procedures for compliance” section? E.g.: “In addition, to ensure accurate presentations to clients, each member and candidate should prepare a summary of his or her own qualifications and experience and a list of the services the member or candidate is capable of performing.” Is this one a " must" or a " can" (since a recommendation shouldn’t be compulsive to adhere to)?

Hope you guys understand. Thanks for your response :).