Adjustment for CFO in Pension Fund Accounting

When I was doing some mock I encounter some problem. Here is the cited data from the question

Pension

Plan A

Fair value, beginning of year

Interest income on plan assets

Remeasurement gains recognized in other comprehensive income

Employer contribution

Participant contribution

Benefits paid

(2,080)

Fair value, end of year

Pension

Plan A

Balance, beginning of year

Current service cost

Interest cost

Participant contributions

Benefits paid

(2,080)

Remeasurement losses recognized in OCI

Balance, end of year

Pension

Plan A

Current service cost

Net interest expense

Net retirement expense for the year

Actual return on plan assets

The question ask us to adjust CFO,

Model Answer:

3150 - 2562 = $588

–> CFO $588 higher

I don’t understand why it use Net Retirement expense rather than TPPC? Shouldn’t we compare difference between TPPC and Contribution ?

this is like the 4th time the question has been posted.

in conclusion, it’s inconclusive. we don’t know.

I got a 17 percent on that vignette. 60 percent overall on the AM Mock because of it. Guarantee the pension accounting stuff won’t be nearly as hard on Saturday. Good Luck

This is a SOB of a question. The trick here is that they used the word economic perspective which basically changes everything. Rather than calculating (Contributions - TPPC), they are asking for the difference in real outflow terms i.e how much money could actually be spend to settle the above. So we calculate (Contributions - Periodic Pension Cost) instead of the above, because PPC is what could actually be expensed in the income statement and Contributions are the only actual cash outflow.

If you calculate Periodic Pension Cost as (current service cost + interest expense) you will get the 2562. It is also stated as net retirement expense for the year.