Reported? WTF

No one talked with me during the exam and now I am formally reported for writing an answer Five minutes after the exam ended?

WTF? I was siting at the first row and watched by proctors all the time. My papers were among the first ones to be collected too.

Tens of people could verify that I did not write anything after the exam is finished, but how could I find them after 20 days?

Any references or helpful tips for fighting this?

PS: The report recognizes me by row and seat rather than CFA number or ID card.

After reading your post, I opened my email to check whether I received something similar from CFAI by error.

I have no idea about that, just hope you get out of it :|.

I have read somewhere that when someone gets a PCP investigation email/letter, his/her CFAI access gets blocked. Did you try logging in?!

yes, the account is blocked for investigation.

https://www.analystforum.com/forums/cfa-forums/cfa-level-iii-forum/91323638

Hope you get out of it.

I received a warning for writing questions I was unsure of on the paper covering the table in the morning session of level 1. But didn’t receive an email before hand stating that they were investigating me.

It is unfair that Proctor submit a written report about you to CFAI without even telling you on the day of the exam.

I would like you to get out of this soon if you haven’t done what the written report says, however I feel it can be very difficult to fight this because CFAI will only believe Proctor’s written report.

To the OP, start by looking at this link and the material it references. https://www.cfainstitute.org/ethics/conduct/sanctions/Pages/index.aspx

i am sad to say that there are about 1500 cases a year initiated regarding exams (in total for levels 1, 2, 3). That is about 1% of the people taking the exam.

Go to https://www.cfainstitute.org/ethics/conduct/sanctions/Pages/candidate-sanctions.aspx and look at the sanctions. There are two categories which dominate. 1. Writing past time called. 2. Looking at someone else’s exam/cheating. By far the most common sanctions for writing past time are voiding your test, and a private reprimand. You really don’t want to be in the other group, the cheaters. Most of them got prohibitions.

The rules regarding exam related investigations begin on page 14 of https://www.cfainstitute.org/ethics/Documents/Professional%20Conduct%20Program%20Documents/rules_of_procedure.pdf .

That document says you should have received a copy or link to the Rules of Procedure. No big surprises, and I will let you read it.

It certainly sounds like you are going to respond. It also sounds like you think there is no basis for an investigation. Is that right? In that case, you may want to include a recent photo with your response. If a proctor somehow wrote down the wrong seat number, there is a chance they may say “not that guy”.

Having no inside knowledge of the discipline process, and not being allowed to discuss exam security measures, I am not sure what else might help. Maybe ask if the proctor claims they did anything at the time that you would remember if indeed they have the right person.

Regarding how to find the people next to you, I bet the Institute can find them. Ask the Institute to do so if you are sure you’re right.

I’ll never understand why anyone would do anything remotely close to questionable on exam day. Look at the ceiling or straight ahead and high up on the wall in front of you haha there’s so much that goes into this exam and if you F up you just wasted a year. Why do anything that could be questioned? Some dude a couple seats over from me was looking in his book well after they called time and got caught. I hope that dude got a write up, what an idiot.

P.s in regards to my situation, I thought the paper on that covered the table was scrap paper for working out. Proctor saw it relatively early in the morning session and told me it was not allowed. Lesson learnt in level 1 that cfa is strict as f and you should be only writing in the exam booklet or answer sheet. I thought nothing of it until I received a email stating I received a warning and no further action was taken. This was my only a week before results came Out.

OP: your reports says 5 minutes or 5 seconds of additional writing? Cause I can see how you can get in trouble for 5 seconds, but 5 minutes is simply impossible. There would be no one left in the hall to accept your paper 5 minutes after the exam end…

Thanks for the reply. The report did not say 5 min of additional writing. It is just stating that the proctor observed that I put an answer at 12:05

At what time did the exam end, though? If instructions were read to 9:04, exam end should have been at 12:04, and then you would be in violation (if his alleged observation were true). If exam end was 12:00, I don’t see how it’s possible to put an answer at 12:05 when everyone would have left by then…

I think CFAI should install some cameras in exam rooms. I don’t think it costs much. If they said someone violated or cheated, they must have proof.

PS: I just got a heart attack when I received an email from CFAI 5 minutes ago :). The mail says CFAI will announce the results on July 25th.

Pierre I got the same email. Was walking thru fidi and bumped into a HCB nearly spilling her coffee. Needless to say didn’t get her number.

In L1, I saw a guy erasing something on his answer sheet 5 minutes after tie was called as procs were picking up booklets, don’t know if anything happened, but it was definitely a time violation way after pencils-down.

should i be worried if i didn’t get the july 25th e-mail? OP did you receive one? Anybody else not get one?

I didn’t get one yet…

yea i saw at least one blatant violation last year, as in more than 10 seconds of writing after time called.

I haven’t gotten the email either, damn it -.-

I got the email about announcement of results…it says the result will be EMAILED on 25th July 2017 after 9.00 AM…