RE-Using 2017 Kaplan Study Material

Recently failed 2017 Level II Test-What I would like to know is if anyone has failed and reused the previous years study material for that level? I know Kaplan recommends buying the new stuff, but my cynical mind thinks that’s just their way of making money. Obviously, I would buy new mock exams and the Q Bank again. But, do I really need to buy a whole new set of Kaplan books? Thanks for the help.

I wouldn’t advice using the same material. Start the 2018 exam with a clean slate.

If you do use 2017 double and tripple check all obsolete areas and new additions

Cool, thanks for the advice.

You’re fine. I used 2013 material when I took level 1 in 2015 and 2016 material for when I took my level 2 in 2017.

Only recommendation is to check for curriculum changes from CFAI’s website. And note that the LOS often don’t change much even though they replace tons of readings. Most of the time, it seems like just rearranging the order of things for the same topics. Still, algorithmic trading was not covered in 2016 materials, so I had to print out that reading from CFAI and look through it myself before this exam.

There’s literally no changes in the level 2 curriculum that warrants you buy the 2018 books if you have the 2017 books. You’ll be fine, OP.

I’ve re-used old material as well but as others have mentioned, be mindful of any changes that have occurred to take those into account. If possible, if anyone you know is doing the same level but using the latest material, see if you can just make a photocopy of the readings that have changed, which hopefully shouldn’t be much.

Right, look at this from Wiley for proof that there are next to no changes.

Wiley Changes Cheat Sheet For Level 2

Appreciate all of the words. That was kind of my feeling, that they don’t change much to warrant buying all new books.

Heres to another go at it.

The curriculum changes are quite immaterial. Most of the changes relates to new EOC questions for readings. No new reading added and none taken out. 2017 schweser notes will serve just the same purpose as that of 2018.

Hi folks,

I have made concerted efforts to prepare my hand-written notes while preparing for Level II. Inevitably, I believe this would be of much help to you all. It is strictly according to the curriculum. The notes contain very important points as in:

1. Mock appeared topics/lines

2. Lifeline (any sentence/formulae) which forms the foundation of any topic; the triggering part.

For brevity, it is the crux of curriculum, so don’t consider it to be a substitute of curriculum. For deep digging and best understanding, would recommend you to read curriculum or schweser whichever you want.

You can share your mail id over here. Will mail you the files thereon.

All the best.

Thanks. Please mail to vn_shankar1@rediffmail.com

Just make sure you find out what’s been added or taken out. I would use Mark Meldrum and ditch Schweser. Nothing is better than the CFAI curriculum.

Also since you’ve been through the curriculum before it shouldn’t take too long. The question is how much do you want to pass…

Check their website, lots of them offer free packages if you failed a level using their study material.

For example, Schweser has 4 different study material option and 3 of them have a PassProtection™ and Schweser Commitment:

“Didn’t pass the exam? Your next study package is on us, free of charge.”

Good luck!

My personal opinion would be to use/do something different. I am not saying Schweser is no good. Since there is no major change, providers will just use the same materials anyway. Unless you spent some extra effort, the result might not change dramatically. I would try maybe other providers such as Wiley with videos learning. That way, you can probably absorb something new and further enhance your knowledge. Good luck.