Failed level 2 (band 10)

Soooo…I failed level 2 in band 10. My score was:

>70 in FRA, equities, alternative inv, and Econ.

50-70 in corporate finance and quantitative.

<50 in ethics, fixed income, derivatives and portfolio mgmt

I am a non finance major and I studied from October till exam date. Read the material several times, did all topic tests, eoc and schweser questions and for lack of time only did 1 mock! What should I do next time and when should I start studying?

Thanks!!

Because of the minimum passing score Ethics adjustment, you may have failed because your Ethics score was below 50. Being above in FRA/Equity suggests you COULD have been close, although unclear. Also, make sure you re-read the entire Ethics section from CFAI and do lots of practice again.

Now that you have a better sense of what’s on the exam, maybe make sure you understand your weaker areas better, and focus more practice there. Also don’t be afraid to really read over and over the solutions to the CFAI questions. How they are thinking may help you avoid some traps you might fall in if you forget about them.

Doing more mocks next time would definitely help you figure out what your weak areas area as well, so I’d do that.

You’ve got a great shot at passing, the next time you take it.

I’m very discouraged by this result and I am considering jumping ship to either the CPA or MBA because I just do not understand the point in so much studying if there are no networking opportunities within CFA in Vancouver!

MBAs love to network…

You should have done more mock exams, the more the better, if you can not pass a six hour practice exam it is a lot to ask to pass the six hour “real” exam. Do a month or more of nothing but practice exams on the weekend. Also getting above 70% in Ethics isn’t necessary to pass, but getting above 50% is probably wise.

Based on how you said you did, you’re not far off and really just follow what other said and do more mocks and focus some more attention on the sections you did poorly in. You don’t need to do well in ethics specifically, if you can pull up one or two of the other topics, you can pass.

I understand being discouraged as I failed band 8 last year and past this year. But am curious though as to what you thought you were getting out of dong this. Networking would not have been something I was expecting to hear…

Diesel, your score is very similar to mine, except I passed FI and CF… start doing mocks and TT’s in January and you’ll be fine… A lot of Band 9/10 folks from last year seem to have passed this year by doing more practice tests.

I’m not going to quit! But I’ve been trying to get a job with my bachelor of science (geology) and CFA for a year! And I’ve only had a couple equity research interviews despite at least 500++ applications! So I’ve decided to give the GMAT a shot and then start studying CFA again in December! What you guys think?

What’s the point of doing GMAT if you are not going to graduate school?

spend the last month of studying on exams and reviewing them. plan accordingly

You are almost there. Start doing mocks a heavily as possible,I will stick my neck out and say your mock scores(avg) are great reflection of your abilities to pass it.

all the best!!

Spend one month on mock mock mock!!!