Is BA Plus 2 a terrible calculator or is it me?..

Hi everyone!

A little question/b*tching here. I can’t use the freaking TI calculator quickly! Imagine you have to do a GGM (multi-stage) for 3 periods.

So you have to divide the dividends by the discount rate raised to a power. I mean, the way you see it on the calculator is so confusing, you have to practically memorize the calculation because you can’t see everything you’ve done on the screen.

And what about using parenthesis?? you can’t even see them when you type them in, so what, should I memorize that I used parenthesis for a part of the equation?

Maybe I’m misusing the calculator?..

I’d appreciate some advice here :slight_smile:

Do the discount factor first. 1+ 0.05

Ans ^ 5 (say five periods)

Next type in the dividend amount you want discounted. Divide by Ans (which is the discount rate).

Personally, I always store each “part” of an answer in memories 1-9, just in case I mess up (which likely happens).

This is my usual system:

Store 0 = The number that will be common to the majority of calculations, which in this case is the discount rate.

Store 1 = div for year 1

store 2 = div for year 2 etc.

Then once done. Sum the recall of all the stored numbers.

Yea this might take longer but I’d rather not risk the chance screwing up a whole answer due to one mispressed button on this calculator.

Doing an interest rate binomial tree for a call/put on the other hand…takes forever lol.