matching maturity and rolling down the yield curve

"If the trader does not believe that the yield curve will change its level and shape over an investment horizon, then buying bonds with a maturity longer than the investment horizon would provide a total return greater than the return on a maturity-matching strategy. " what does matching maturity strategy mean exactly. i understand rolling down the yield curve produces higher total returns but what does this have to do with a matching strategy. can anyone explain.

If you have an investment horizon of, say, 5 years, then you buy 6-year bonds, or 7-year bonds, or 10-year bonds: the maturity of the bonds is longer than your investment horizon.

how is a return on a matching maturity computed? I am not really understanding the mechanics of this strategy.

Suppose that the spot rates are:

• 1-year: 2.0%
  • 2-year: 3.0%
  • 3-year: 3.5%

A 3-year, 6% coupon, annual-pay bond will be priced at $1,071.44, and have a YTM of 3.4524%.

Suppose that one year later, the spot rates are the same. You now have a 2-year bond priced at $1,057.98. Your holding period return is ($1,057.98 + $60.00) / $1,071.44 − 1 = 4.3434%.

ok this seems to be the calculation of rolling down the yield curve right? What I am asking is about the maturity matching strategy. Maturity matching sounds like I don’t want to buy a long tenor bond so I buy shorter tenor bonds and roll over until my maturity is matched. I.e. instead of buying a 5 year bond I buy 1 year bond every 1 year until I get to 5 years. I read the cfa text and I think thats what it is. Can you confirm? if thats what it is and I assume my yield curve doesnt change then I should get equal returns between a maturity matching strategy and rolling down the yield curve right? Something is missing in my understanding of this.