Adjacent nodes in an interest rate tree

I understand from the lesson that adjacent forward rates at any nodal period are 2 standard deviations appart. In an exercice, we are looking at the value of the lower one period rate, and we know the following :

• the upper rate : 5,8365%
  • the volatility = 25%

The solution is : lower one period rate = 5,8365% * e(-2 * 0.25)

Could someone explain to me why we use exponential and not just 5,8365% * (-2 * 0.25) ?

Should we systematically use exponential to compute adjacent nodes, or is it specific to this exercice?

There’s no good reason to choose the exponential treatment over simply multiplying (though your formula for multiplying is wrong in either case). Someone a long time ago decided that we would treat the volatility as continuous rather than discrete, so that’s the way it’s done. Always.

Thank you S2000 magician, it is clearer! But then, why do you say that the formulas are wrong? I should not multiply? (if not mistaken, it is the solution I read in the material)

If you do simple multiplication, you will not find the solution in the answer choices.

You would multiply by (1 + 2×25%) to go to the next higher node, or divide by (1 + 2×25%) to go to the next lower node.