OAS: Callable Bonds vs Putable Bonds

Can anyone help clear this up for me? I got this Topic Test question wrong and the answer does not make sense to me. Below is the Vingette text, followed by the answer choices, followed by the explanation. I would think that because Callable bond value increases as interest rate volatility decreases, the OAS would decrease due to it being apart of the denominator in the present value equation ) and vice versa for putable bonds)

Scahill then asks, “While we are on the topic of OAS, a question that comes to mind is how the interest rate volatility assumption impacts the OAS of callable and putable bonds.” Morgan responds, “It is my understanding that as interest rate volatility declines, the OAS for callable bonds decreases while the OAS for putable bonds increases.”

Q. Is his response to Scahill’s question regarding the impact of changes in interest rate volatility on the OAS of callable and putable bonds, Morgan is most likely:

1. incorrect about callable and putable bonds.
  2. correct about callable bonds and incorrect about putable bonds.
  3. correct about putable bonds and incorrect about callable bonds.
    Solution

A is correct. Morgan’s response to Scahill is incorrect. As interest rate volatility declines, the embedded call option becomes cheaper; thus, the higher the arbitrage-free value (or model value) of the callable bond.

Callable bond value = Value of straight bond – Value of call option

A higher value for the callable bond means that a higher spread needs to be added to one-period forward rates to make the arbitrage-free bond value equal to the market price (i.e., the OAS is higher). For putable bonds as interest rate volatility declines, the value of the put option declines as does the arbitrage-free value of the putable bond.

Putable bond value = Value of straight bond + Value of put option

This implies that a lower spread needs to be added to one-period forward rates to make the arbitrage free bond value equal to the market price. Thus, in this instance, the OAS is lower.

You’re missing the implication of one word: “. . . how the interest rate volatility _ assumption _ impacts the OAS . . . .”

We’re trying to calculate the OAS, so we change the interest rate volatility _ while keeping the price of the bond unchanged _.

As assumed volatility increases, the OAS on a callable bond decreases, and the OAS on a putable bond increases.

There have been a bazillion threads here on this phenomenon.

I looked back for these old threads and found one where you said this which made me even more confused

“Correct: OAS should not change with interest rate volatility; Z-spread and option cost should change. (Note: in the real world, probably both OAS and Z-spread change somewhat.)”

https://www.analystforum.com/forums/cfa-forums/cfa-level-ii-forum/91333114

This is a different situation than was being discussed in that thread.

Here, we know the price of the bond and we’re trying to calculate the OAS by assuming some value for interest rate volatility. The point is that we’ll get a different value for the OAS if we change our assumption about the volatility.

There, we’re given an OAS and are trying to determine the effect on the bond’s price when the actual interest rate volatility changes.