Multistage Residual Income Model - Persistence Factor (Need Clarification)

Hey guys, for the LIFE of me I just can’t seem to understand the formula for the RI Multistage Model with respect to the persistence factor.

V0=B0 +T−1∑t=1(Et−rBt−1)(1+r)t + Et−rBT−1/1+r−ω)(1+r)T−1

When the persistence factor is 1, it means that RI will continue at the same level indefinitely. Substituting 1 Into the equation,

V0=B0 +T−1∑t=1(Et−rBt−1)(1+r)t + Et−rBT−1/1+r−ω)(1+r)T−1

= … Et−rBT−1 / (+r)(1+r)T−1

How does this above change into this below? (How does the bolded denominator just fall off)?

V = B0 + RIt/r

Am I mixing up the perpetuity with the persistence factor?

I think using Schweser and the curriculum’s formulas are confusing me.

Can someone also explain this formula from Schweser?

(PT-BT)+RIT/1+r

I cannot find the equivalent in the curriculum.

Thanks in advance!

You can basically just work with the simple formula to value a “growing” perpetuity. The value V of your growing perpetuity of residual income is:

V(0) = RI(1) / (r - g)

where V(0) is the value at t=0, RI(1) the residual income at t = 1, r the required rate of return and g the growth rate. If you encounter a question with a persistence factor, then all this really does is specify your growth rate g. For example: Say you you are given some value for RI(1) and a persistence factor w = 0.3. What that means is that after 1 year only 0.3 of RI will persist. This is equivalent to g = w - 1 = -0.7. Now just plug in g = -0.7 in the above equation and find the value of the residual income stream to be:

V(0) = RI(1) / (r + 0.7)

If you are given a persistence factor of 1.3 then you are really in the case of a growing perpetuity (g = 0.3) rather than that of a declining stream of residual income. The formulas are all the same though.

Also for w=1 you find g = 0 and V(0) = RI(1) / r. Please note that this is only the value of the residual income stream. To find the value of the corresponding security you have to add the book value at t=0.

1 Like