Did you pass?

I’ve been running base case, best case and worst case scenarios on my results since saturday lol. also, i really hope they bring down the MPS this time.

Top Instructors, Best-in-Class Content, Partner Until You Pass Guarantee

I feel Afternoon exam in one country might be the Morning Session in another country and vice versa.

sydneyguy wrote:

I feel Afternoon exam in one country might be the Morning Session in another country and vice versa.

never thought about that but yes that could make sense.. 

I heard it’s harder in Canada 

Not sure either. I remember a forum discussion of when I passed level 1. Someone stated in the forum did anyone get a long line of Bs in the afternoon. Pretty sure we had the same exam, but it could be a mix between countries. 

I didn’t think the exam was particularly difficult, but reading this thread makes me nervous. However, I am willing to bet that anyone here is well above even to have passed.

Honestly on the fence on whether I passed or not. Obviously hoping for the best though. Overall, it was challenging with AM feeling easier than PM (by far). Can’t really compare the actual to mocks imo - just different tests all around. Mocks were very focused on core, and you could generally expect the same cadence across the subtopics for each. Thr real deal was more straightforward in questioning and the info was more concentrated. The one exception for mock comparisons was CFAI mock B - it was almost like the institute was trying to send a final signal to all of us poor suckers about the enter the pain train that it was about to get real…

The exam was “fair” in my opinion, pass or fail. I am on the fence on whether I passed but certainly have a fighting chance.

I changed a few answers for the better on the first exam and changed one to the wrong answer on the second. I went through and marked the questions I wasn’t 100% on, and that totaled 20 on the second exam. I got a few of those 20 (at least 4) correct.

I felt like my results on the AM session bolstered my overall performance.

i had no pure guesses. There was rationality behind every answer, and nothing threw me completely off guard.

I did not enjoy the studying. It was grueling, and there were times when my brain felt melted. I enjoyed letting my preparedness meet the test booklet. At least 600 study hours, perhaps 900.

Unless I failed to really pick up the traps, it was quite an easy exam than last year am sure I should get this one

Yeah, i don’t think there were ‘traps’ if you know the material. CFAI is there to test if you truly know the material. They put a lot of info and detractor information in as well as the ability to get a wrong answer quite easily. When i was band 10 i was finishing with 15 mins or 5 mins to the buzzer last year. This year was like 45mins or and hour early which gave me time to read through everything again and recalculate. It was either you knew it or you didn’t. 

Band 9 re-taker here, felt it was easier than last year. For this year, quite confident on the answers I had chosen and can work out almost all of the answers on first attempt with tricky words circled. (And was not frightened away when there was a part with vertical line pattern on the answer sheet) Got more than 45 mins to re-visit the questions for both sections.

I found the morning session very difficult.. the PM was not bad i think i failed AM, and passed PM.. so not sure what the overall score is. 

By the way is there a chance you had a different version of the exam than the one we took here Bahrain? 

I am in Europe. The AM was easier than the PM for sure. I definitely did 60-70% on the AM and the PM…well, that was definitely quite difficult. I say 40-70% (I know I had 20 questions right for sure on the PM).

Lets hope the MPS is 60-62%

I have seen in other threads that it was 55% in one year and we can’t forget the actual grading method - ‘Angoff Standard Setting Method

You all need to forget this because we all learned a lesson, whether we pass or fail. The topic weightings are just an illusion - STUDY everything equally. If you fail, you will definitely pass the next and if you pass, congrats - you can now sit for the Level 3 exam ;).

Until then, here is some interesting info:

https://news.efinancialcareers.com/uk-en/162018/whats-the-minimum-score-you-can-get-on-cfa-level-i-and-still-pass

Best of luck to everybody and let’s hope that MPS is in the low (and I mean low) 60%

AMG89

Fortes fortuna iuvat

I had got Band 9 last year (Ethics was less 50 last year, may be that was the nail in coffin). This was my fourth attempt (Band 3 and 5 previously), I persisted because felt I am just on verge. But the exam this year was beyond imagination.

Questions in Eco, PM and AM seemed ahah, how can they go so deep in “less releveant” conecpts.

The mood after PM exam was completely different to what was in AM; it just broke me. I f….d up 3 easy ques (had marked right initialy!); CFA exam took its full toll!!

I am scared, what can be MPS; 58-60% may seem in reach but not above it.

I really think some topics are easier than other years and some are harder. They can test anything. I walked about thinking of how much they didn’t test! With so much material and 120 questions, they can ask a lot of things you may not be confident in. After studying so hard, I told myself I only need know 50% and the rest is down to basic probability that will get me to 80/120 questions. 

Personally, passing is down to mocks. I did 9. 3 from schweser, I paid 50 bucks for IFT for three exams which have really different questions, 1 exam from Wiley and 2 from CFA. My test scores were 58-85% for half a mock. I only cracked over 70 twice. One of IFT and one on CFA. I did Wiley questions, EOC, and cfa topic tests but not all of them as I ran out of time.

last year I only did two mocks and not enough practice after getting through the material. I spent 5 months just reading cfai text. It prepared me well this year. 

How many mocks did you do? What topics did you find the hardest?

letsgo wrote:

Am I the only one who thinks the test was easier than the CFAI mocks and the Schweser mocks?

I think so too, but hearing how tough everyone else found it makes me feel like I stepped on a **** load of landmines and fell into traps

egynoob wrote:

letsgo wrote:

Am I the only one who thinks the test was easier than the CFAI mocks and the Schweser mocks?

I think so too, but hearing how tough everyone else found it makes me feel like I stepped on a **** load of landmines and fell into traps

i thought it was super straightforward

Epsilon wrote:

Is anyone here a band 9 or 10 retaker from last year? After you took the exam last year, did you feel that you were goigg to pass or you had the feeling of getting a Band result? 

Im not sure about my score in the PM, was really crushed. Lots of small details that i couldn’t remember.

band 10 from last year. I walked out in 2017 pretty confident I passed. I walked out yesterday sure I passed.

all comes down to your preparation. But I really do think it was easier than years prior. So my take is mps will be higher.

If you take any of that seriously ^^ then I can't help you.

Compared to the first 5 Kaplan practice tests and 2 CFAI mocks that I took I found the real thing to be easier than all of them - in particular the first half.  I have to say I’m a bit surprised to hear the comments here and it’s making me think I may have missed something.  The main curve ball was the weightings were a bit of a surprise so that could catch some people who had some weaker areas off guard, but in my opinion that in itself shouldn’t cause the MPS to be lower.  I would honestly expect the MPS to be higher this year especially given the extra 3 weeks we had.  Best of luck to all.  

I didn’t have the time to do any mock and barely had the time to revise everything before the exam.

Same happened to me in level 1 and didn’t do any mock and was so worried because everyone here was talking about how many mocks they did. However, I scored in the highest band in all 10 topics. Thought the same will happen with level 2, but I think in general the exam was more difficult. The areas I had the time to revise before the exam, I felt they were quite straightforward and not that difficult. The problem was with all the forgotten formulas where I had to be creative and try to put things together to make sense and try answer something without knowing the formula exactly.

I think there is a big industry based on CFA now and the countless numbers of mocks/questions that I don’t think they are necessary. I think you just need to understand the material, make sure you revise and remember ALL the formulas and go through the material one last time before the exam and I think pass is guaranteed. Not doing that, not sure where I stand.

First timer here, did 3 schweser mocks, 2 wiley, 2 IFT plus the CFAI mocks (probably over 300hrs of studying altogether). I found the actual exam had mostly straight forward questions but a few others where I was completely guessing (derivatives). On top of that there were a couple of questions that I knew but was overthinking things causing me to choose the wrong answer at times. Overall, for me its a toss up and will be shocked regardless if i pass/fail. best of luck to all of you!

I found the actual exam to be easier than any mock I took.  They did a lot of the steps for us in calculations.  There was so much time left in the AM and PM session that I was able to go back and calculate the trap answers just to see how they were trying to trap candidates.  I think it really came down to whether you studied the whole curriculum or whether you thought you could predict what would be on the exam

The exam was easier than I expected and I left feeling optimistic that I had done enough to pass. Thought the AM section was easier than PM, where I had to make a number of educated guesses. Quite frankly I thought I did well in every section but ethics and derivatives. Ethics can be so hit or miss for me. I am concerned that I missed the ‘tricks’ in some of the problems, too.

Without going into detail, I was very frustrated by the choice of material that was tested vs the material that was not tested. But, what can you do. C’est la vie. 

The general consensus in this thread seems to be that the exam was “easy” (relatively speaking, of course) and that the MPS would therefore by high, which concerns me. This could however simply be a non-indicative outperforming subset of the whole. 

My guess of MPS this year is around 62% or so and Pass Rate might be something around 46%

Do you folks think Ethics Bump actually works for prople who are close to passing score and did well in Ethics?

Yes.  This isn’t a myth.  CFAI has explicitly indicated so.  How much of a “bump” you get no one really knows though.  I think its more like - if 2 candidates had the same score and one nailed ethics and the other failed, the one that nailed it would be likelier to pass.  

oryan5000 wrote:

I found the actual exam to be easier than any mock I took.  They did a lot of the steps for us in calculations.  There was so much time left in the AM and PM session that I was able to go back and calculate the trap answers just to see how they were trying to trap candidates.  I think it really came down to whether you studied the whole curriculum or whether you thought you could predict what would be on the exam

This is spot on for me and exactly my experience.  

I think AM section of the exam in some countries might be PM section of the exam in other countries.

It is also quite possible that CFA institute might be having at least 2 completely different versions of the exams in different countries. 

sydneyguy wrote:

My guess of MPS this year is around 62% or so and Pass Rate might be something around 46%

I feel like the MPS is going to be higher than that, based on some of the posts in this thread on the difficulty of the exam. My guess is 65-66%

I think if someone is about 1 Question away from MPS and did really well in Ethics (over 70% score in Ethics) then they might get a bump and might Pass.