making a comeback?

Hello all…Needing some advice on making a comeback to L2. Backstory: Passed Level 1 on first attempt, tried L2 3x with the last being a band 9 fail (2012). I stepped away to help with the kiddos, and to avoid a divorce :slight_smile: but now I am considering making a comeback now that they are a little older. I know that I have been away for awhile but it still irks me that L2 got the best of me. The questions are (other than, is this nuts): how should I prep given the layoff? I used Schweser and CFAI materials on the last 2 attempts which is when I saw the most improvement in my score, but is there something better? I would imagine there have been significant changes with prep providers and with means of delivery(I.e.YouTube etc.) If I decide to get back in the saddle, my goal is to start 8/1/18. Any ideas are welcome. Thanks in advance.

https://www.chalkandboard.org/

Literally what helped me finally grasp and understand the material.

https://www.markmeldrum.com/

Watch his videos and then do the EOCs…

You could watch videos, you could take online courses, you could sit in a live course, or you could self study for 700+ hours…

Or you could do all of the above!

Hi,

Your come-back considering your past history shows that you have strengths to reach your goal whatever the means.

I wish you the best.

some of the folks in the CFA program deserve a medal. Attaboy!

Here is what I did for L2, about 400 to 500 hours total: (I was averaging around 80% on mock exams and felt like I absolutely crushed the exam after I left)

1. Read through a chapter in Schweser. While reading through, make a significant number of note cards for the reading (I had over 1000 note cards by the end of the process).

2. Once done with the reading and note card creation, flip through all the note cards ( do not look at the other side of the note card until you’ve absolutely tried your best to remember everything on the other side).

3. Do the Schweser Concept Checkers for that reading and then the CFAI EOCs for that reading.

4. The next day after completing the problems, flip through the notecards one more time to lock the concepts in to long term memory.

5. A month or two later, come back and flip through that same set of note cards.

This process should be repeated for every single reading.

FINISH THIS PROCESS AT LEAST ONE MONTH BEFORE THE EXAM

Final month revision:

1. Flip through the note cards for a reading.

2. Do the CFAI EOCs for that reading (for the second time),

3. Once done with the EOCs for an entire section (Derivatives for example), take the Topic Test for that Section on the CFAI website

Perform the previous three steps for all readings and sections.

The last 2 weeks, try to do 5 or 6 mock exams and really look at the answers for each question once finished with every exam until you understand why the answer is the way it is.

IF YOU STICK TO THIS ROUTINE YOU WILL LIKELY BEAT LEVEL 2. Good luck!

CEO 10K-Day- Thank you! I am checking them out now.

[quote=“thanatos0320”]

https://www.markmeldrum.com/

Watch his videos and then do the EOCs…

Thanks! I will defintely check these out

[quote=“125mph”]

You could watch videos, you could take online courses, you could sit in a live course, or you could self study for 700+ hours…

Or you could do all of the above!

This is probably what I’m gonna have to do! :slight_smile:

[quote=“oryan5000”]

Here is what I did for L2, about 400 to 500 hours total: (I was averaging around 80% on mock exams and felt like I absolutely crushed the exam after I left)

1. Read through a chapter in Schweser. While reading through, make a significant number of note cards for the reading (I had over 1000 note cards by the end of the process).

2. Once done with the reading and note card creation, flip through all the note cards ( do not look at the other side of the note card until you’ve absolutely tried your best to remember everything on the other side).

3. Do the Schweser Concept Checkers for that reading and then the CFAI EOCs for that reading.

4. The next day after completing the problems, flip through the notecards one more time to lock the concepts in to long term memory.

5. A month or two later, come back and flip through that same set of note cards.

This process should be repeated for every single reading.

FINISH THIS PROCESS AT LEAST ONE MONTH BEFORE THE EXAM

Final month revision:

1. Flip through the note cards for a reading.

2. Do the CFAI EOCs for that reading (for the second time),

3. Once done with the EOCs for an entire section (Derivatives for example), take the Topic Test for that Section on the CFAI website

Perform the previous three steps for all readings and sections.

The last 2 weeks, try to do 5 or 6 mock exams and really look at the answers for each question once finished with every exam until you understand why the answer is the way it is.

IF YOU STICK TO THIS ROUTINE YOU WILL LIKELY BEAT LEVEL 2. Good luck!

That is a great study set up. When did you start studying?

SwaptionMan,

Thanks for the kind words.

some of the folks in the CFA program deserve a medal. Attaboy!

[/quote]

What was your study approach last time? Questions? Q bank? Mocks?

Whitetail,

my last attempt I started in January with schweser material, did CFAI EOC’s for all readings, once finished I went back through EOC’s. With appx a month left, I nothing but qbank/EOC’s/mocks and reviewed what I missed or didn’t understand. This approach got me to band 9. I think the approach listed earlier in the thread was a more refined version which I might try. The other part that I am implementing is starting earlier than January. I think if I start earlier, I can keep the pace manageable and leave plenty of time for reviews/mocks. Fine line to walk though…don’t want to burn out early! What do you think?

I started in January but I committed a lot of my weekend time to it. Really it’s slow and steady wins the race. You want to be as comprehensive as possible an not try to predict what will be on the test

Long time follower, but rarely comment.

The 3rd attempt on Level 2, and feel I gave this one a good go. What helped me was to actually print out the LOS PDF on the CFAI website 2018LEVEL II Study Sessions Combined and actually go through each LOS in the last month with Mocks, I went through each one and tried to see if I could give a high-level definition of certain concepts or actually do a basic form of the calculations. At the end of it, I had some small notes around all the bullet points which served as a really nice “Secret Sauce” which was tailored to my strengths and weakness. This also assured me I had covered all concepts no matter what resources I had used and also found some 3rd party providers weight heavily on concepts which may have over the years become a little less relevant.

As a father of a 2-year old, I know the struggle. Advice to all try and complete the exams before kids. :slightly_smiling_face:

If you’ve failed after 3 attempts, just move on. It’s not even worth spending another six months of your life to memorize definitions and non-core material. And you’re probably looking at multiple tries at level 3 as well if you ever pass level 2. I’m sure you can find better use of your time.

Sorry for the negative feedback, but I’m being realistic here. I will never deadlift 500 pounds. And I’m okay with that.

Hello Autiger… don’t give up, I passed L2 on my 5th attempt… the first 3x I was really unprepared because Spring is my busy time as a CPA… I think what got me over the hump is working more problems than just reading… I would get up 6am, get a cup of coffee, and work problems first hour of the day… get in this habit and make it a part of your day… I think using both Kaplan and CFAI is a good strategy, I read CFAI first, then Kaplan, which reinforced concepts.

Thanks, Tactic, will take note of it. But unfortunately my path might just be longer than others but I have chosen this route. Also, you can’t say that failing level 2 will be compounded into Level 3. Maybe level 3 will suit a person better than level 2. I guess we will just have to wait and see.

OP,why do you want to finish the charter? What do you think will accompany the charter?

I don’t think anyone asked before they blindly started telling you to carry on with it (unless I missed it while skimming).