Band 5 in 2017 , passed in 2018

Hi guys, I am very lucky to pass the CFA lv2 exam in 2018 although i failed with band 5 last year. This forum helped me a lot to pass this year, so I would like to share my experience to those who want to pass the exam.

Last year 2017, I was overwhelmed by joy when I passed the lv1 exam (DEC2016) on first try. I knew lv2 would be harder but i became overconfident and only spent 200~300 hours to study for lv2 june exam.

I used wiley and studysmarter for the notes and mock exams, however, the materials were not relevant to the exam (what a waste of money!!!).

For 2018 lv2 exam, i only study with the books, topic tests and exams provided by the CFA Institute. No external resources! I studied for 300~400 hours this time. I knew my weakness is Financial Reporting. I asked my friend to teach me but i only understood little.

Luckily, I did well in most of the areas (around 70% correct) except corporate finance and financial reporting (only around 50%). My friend is above 90th percentile…

Nonetheless, I am very happy that i pass. I wish all candidates good luck for the next exam(s).

What Wiley notes went useless for you but I heard that it contains clear and precise words which enable to understand even the complicated concepts in an easier way.

Willey Videos (Basit Shajani) was the key for passing Level 2 First go

And What about Wiley notes?

I think the books and the book exercises are much better than the Wiley notes. However, i think it is not a bad idea to use Wiley study materials if you have extra cash to spend because what is not suitable for me may be suitable for you.Nonetheless , I strongly recommend focusing on the books, topic tests and mock exams provided by CFA institute as they are very helpful and relevant to the exam.

Good Luck!

Sounds exactly like what I did! I passed Level I in Dec’17, got overconfident for Level II of Jun’18 and flunked! Though I partly blame my work schedule for the failure, I always knew that I would not have enough time for Jun’18 and it was the overconfidence from having passed the Level I that made me think “its manageable”! Now I have registered for Level II of Jun’19 and hope to prepare well starting now.

Good to know that there are others who have made similar mistakes as I have and managed to recover.

Goodluck for your Level III! :slight_smile:

Willey Videos, CFAI BB, EOC, TT and online mocks worked fine and helped clear first go. I was stretched in time though. Else, I would have read heavy chapter from CFA books directly (FRA, Equity, CorpFin and FI). For me Derivatives was hard to understand from CFA materials and Willey explains really well.

Good luck!!!