FRM PART

I h

I used Schweser for level 1 last nov. I studied an hour or so everyday and a few more on weekends. I finished all readings around 1 month from the exam. I spent two weeks doing q bank and then two weeks doing 4 exams (2 from GARP and 2 from Schweser). I passed 1112 my friend passed 1111. I would say 60% is covered but don’t let that fool you. You need to take it seriously. The questions were around cfa level 1 and 2 difficultly but some were harder. The 8am start for the exam was brutal as well. I do recommend the program and you get into more detail in some areas like forecasting volatility models using garch or ewma.

Im studying for level 2 now and chose Wiley. I just cleared cfa level 2 like you and I feel like I need videos. If you are a visual learner, go with Wiley. Also as you may be constrained with time, Wiley is better. You get bite size lessons and can easily finish by mid-Oct. Christian Cooper does a fantastic job in telling you what you need to know. Sometimes the GARP readings are 40 pages and you only need to know 10 for the learning objectives, these videos will save you time. For level 1 I started studying 1st day of Aug. Schweser does have a weekly video for 3hrs but my time was better spent reading and practicing.

You can get prior exams from bionic turtle forum. Doing 4 exams were key. Some years GARP will use the exact same questions or similar questions so I honed in those for the exam.

PM if you have more specific questions and happy to help

what topics/subjects are covered in the 60% you say?

Roughly how many hours did you prepare dor this ?

How much of cfa level 1 and 2 is already covered in frm part 1

Also wondering this^^

is there any carryover from CFA to FRM?

You’ll see some connections between the two but FRM gets deeper into the quant details. Mind you my opinion was from taking the FRM many years ago so something may have changed.

Worst case you’ll be able to zip through the CFA readings on VaR pretty quickly…

Quant, valuation and risk models and fin products were touched on by CFAI and covered by GARP (this is 80% of the exam). Now, GARP does go into more detail in some areas. CFA Level 2 only briefly mentioned VaR measures. GARP being risk management will focus a lot more on VaR. GARP also has a different way to present the similar concept, so different formulas or notations than what CFAI uses. I’m only guessing at around 60% and this is for level 1 and 2 of cfa materials. I remember quant (basic quant is basic quant); fixed income such as vasicek/ho lee, key rate duration goes a bit deeper; greeks and derivatives being similar; there is a lot.

I started studying 1 Aug. I put in around 1-2hr per day during the week and 3-4hrs on say and 3-4hrs on sunday. I think i over studied. Maybe I put in around 150hrs but i did not count the hours. I aimed to finish 1 month before the exam. I then proceeded to do 1k q bank for two weeks and review. Then i tapered and did four practice exams (honestly, these were key). I took the thursday and friday off before the exam. I probably could have passed just doing q bank and four exams and around 50-80hrs of study but i didn’t risk it. The pass rate is around 42% and I was not sure what to expect.

I used Schweser which was just like reading CFAI readings. Their Q Bank was useful for level 1. For level 2, I am using Wiley as they have better videos. I can cover the material in circa 80hrs and will then focus on exams and some questions. I am a bit burned out from L2 studies, so i am not taking it too hard. GARP give you a lot to read. I enjoyed most of the readings (especially the case studies) but there is different in learning for the sake of learning and studying to pass an exam. GARP has the uncanny ability to give you 40 pages to read through but if you look at the learning objectives, they are usually covered in the first 10 pages. Sometimes they just give you a reading full of formulas and you are like so what, how can i make this relevant and apply it. I do rec going with a 3rd party provider.

If you have done a level or two of CFA exams, then go with wiley or schweser. If not, then go with bionic turtle.