CFA Level II- Real Life Supplemental Reading

I’d like to start applying what I’m learning in level II to real-life examples. Unfortunately, my current role doesn’t require me to be in-the-know about current events in the market. What publications would you recommend, if any. Thanks in advance!

I (try to) keep up with WSJ and The Economist

In addition to the above Financial Times, Barron’s, BCA, ISI evercore, and Strategas

I think ft.com/offer50 still works to get half price off the FT. In addition, Amex UK has a £25 cashback offer for FT subs, valid until 26 Oct.

The Economist (“Business” and “Finance and Economics” sections) is a great option as well since it includes a quality audio edition with each issue, which is great for commuting, cooking, running, whatever you get up to when not reading the CFAI Curriculum.

On the topic of listening, podcasts: FT podcasts, Investors Chronicle, Money for the Rest of Us, Money Box (UK, consumer focussed), The Bottom Line (general business).

I also read Michael Lewis’ The Big Short while studying for L1 a while back; a nice entertaining semi-break from studies!

@Black8Mamba23 - Speaking of L1, I think we did it at the same time. December 2016? Well done on getting through all the exams! I only picked up L2 just now and suddenly feel very jealous!

The Economist. Great quality articles (not that much about finance but still a fair deal) and the audio edition is particularly helpful for commuting.

FT is awesome, used to be a subscriber but no time anymore to read it unfortunately.

When it comes to podcasts, FT has some good ones (Hard Currency, Behind the Money), and I especially like the ones from Bloomberg: Trillions, Masters in Business (Barry Ritholtz is the man), Bloombert Surveillance, Benchmark, Odd lots, P&L… Also check “exchanges at Goldman Sachs”.

You can also read publications from Asset Managers (Pimco especially) or from industry consultants (Research Affiliates…)…

Haha, yes December 2016! Thanks :slight_smile: I think I remember you, hope all has been great. Study like a brute and I’m sure you’ll have it all wrapped up soon too, the exams really aren’t that bad!

+1 for audio comment

I Like that quote BlackMamba “study like a brute…the exams really aren’t that bad”

thank you

Feel like aeons ago, doesn’t it! All good thanks; had to put some time in at work for promotion, but that has been sorted now, so trying to squeeze in L2 before Brexit kicks off and things get busy again. Appreciate your encouragement!

Podcasts to consider:

• Curious Investor

• Behind the Markets

• Invest like the best

• Meb Faber

I’m enjoying Curious Investor. Research and discussion with the nerds at AQR.