Reclassification of Investment

According to CFAI book pg 14.

“If a security initially classified as held for trading is reclassified as available-for-sale, any unrealized gains and losses (arising from the difference between its carrying value and current fair value) are recognized in profit and loss”

Why is it recognized in PnL and not in Other Comprehensive income?

Thanks

"Using Wiley for my CFA journey was by far the best option… I was able to pass on my first attempt.”– Moe E., Canada

IFRS rules?

If I remember well, derivatives and FX gains and losses are mostly recognized in OCI.

Las almas de todos los hombres son inmortales, pero las almas de los justos son inmortales y divinas.
Sócrates

Hanuman wrote:
According to CFAI book pg 14.

“If a security initially classified as held for trading is reclassified as available-for-sale, any unrealized gains and losses (arising from the difference between its carrying value and current fair value) are recognized in profit and loss”

Why is it recognized in PnL and not in Other Comprehensive income?

Thanks

Unrealized gains and losses on held-for-trading securities are recognized in profit and loss.

When you reclassify a held-for-trading security as available-for-sale, you have to reclassify it at its current market value.  Therefore, you recognize any unrealized gain or loss while it is still classified as held-for-trading, then reclassify it.

Simplify the complicated side; don't complify the simplicated side.

Financial Exam Help 123: The place to get help for the CFA® exams
http://financialexamhelp123.com/